Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 17, 2008

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thursday, September 18, 2008

This morning began with a visit from Jerrold. Jerrold works at the hospital and is a CT scan tech. Jerrold met Mattie five weeks ago when attempting to do a CT scan of Mattie, and has kept an eye on Mattie ever since. Jerrold is devoted to Mattie and when Mattie is in the hospital, he makes it his business to find a few minutes to come and play with Mattie. Today he brought Mattie a spiderman pen from his trip to Disneyworld. Jerrold is a special person, and I find he is a fine example of the wonderful people caring for Mattie.

After Jerrold left, Mattie and I were sitting on the floor playing with the trains Jenny gave him yesterday (thanks Jenny!). At one point, Mattie stopped, looked up at me and said, "Mommy I was born to die." How do you like that statement? How prepared are any of us to really answer such questions when our children ask? I must admit, I am getting better at handling these existential questions, but I can't say that this doesn't bother me or sadden me. Again, I tried to normalize what he was saying. I told him we were all going to die at some point in our lives, so that his statement was indeed accurate, but that he wasn't going to die now because we are getting all the right care to fight the bone bugs. I turned his statement into a joke and I told him I did not give him permission to die. He laughed and we continued playing.

Mattie had another rough day of vomiting. However, like I stood up to benedryl two weeks ago, Mattie stood up to Ativan today. Mattie told the residents today that he DID NOT want that medicine. So there was NO ativan administered today, despite having the vomiting we did not have the hyperactivity, agitation, and aggression. Mattie is learning, its seems, how to be an active participant in his healthcare. At around 3pm today, Mattie finally was exhausted and took a nap and rested peacefully until 5pm. At 5pm though, he woke up with nausea and is still vomiting as I type this blog. It is interesting though how Mattie seems to have paradoxical reactions to such drugs as Ativan and Benedryl (meaning that he reacts in the opposite way from what they are intended to do). On a side note, we just had a conversation with Meghan tonight (one of the residents). Meghan explained to us that sometimes Ativan is given to help patients who are addicted to alcohol during the recovery process. Ativan is a controlled substance administered by a healthcare provider and slowly helps patients who are withdrawing from alcohol. But Meghan explained that a person on Ativan can have similar behaviors and reactions as someone who is drunk. It did help make sense out of what we saw yesterday with Mattie.

Later in the day we had a visit from Joy and Catherine (two great RCC moms) who are tracking Mattie and supporting us through this process. They came today and delivered us some beautiful glazed donuts that Mattie got to frost himself! A treat for all of us. Thank you both for stopping by and of course for the chocolate! Joy and Catherine tried to convince me to get more rest and leave the hospital. However, for the first time I was able to verbalize one of the reasons why I couldn't do this. In all reality no amount of sleep or anything else for that matter, will help me feel better about what is happening to Mattie and our lives. I am not sure if that makes sense to you as a reader. I know I am not clinically depressed (and yes I feel I can assess this for myself quite accurately), yet I feel for the first time, I can relate to someone who has major depression. Nothing looks, sounds, or feels good anymore. It is almost like time is standing still and I am trapped in a world far removed from the rest of society. The world around me is functioning and thriving, and I am now just an observer of a small part of the world through Mattie's hospital window.

When Mattie woke up from his nap today, we had two other visitors. Danelle (a RCC mom) delivered us a tasty dinner and she had the special treat of seeing Mattie in the PJs she bought him. He loves his cowboy PJs! Then Tricia, one of Mattie's favorite nurses, came to visit him. Tricia was not on duty but came to the hospital to attend a meeting, and was nice enough to stop by, check on Mattie, and share her pictures of her new puppy, peanut with us. That was a special treat, and again representative of the loving hospital staff caring for Mattie.

On the electronic front, thank you Coach Frost (for some helpful advice about anti-emetics), Gail B., Kara Sandoval, and JJ (loved your puppy picture with your brothers and sisters) for your e-mails and Lorraine, Susan, Kim, and Karen for your great e-cards. Bob Weiman sent us a jibjab e-card today with Mattie's grandparents dancing. Georgetown's system is currently blocking my access to certain sites, so we look forward to seeing this e-card when we get home. I am sure Mattie's grandparents will love this! I received a lovely phone call today from a recent graduate of GW's counseling program, Emily W. I have gotten to know Emily quite well over the last couple of years and she is very fond of Mattie. She is brainstorming with Carrie, ideas for Mattie's walk this spring. Emily came up with a wonderful idea for the t-shirts at the walk. Since Mattie loves Dunkin Donuts, why not use this company's colors on the t-shirt. I was thinking of featuring a lovely vanilla frosted donut on the front as a picture frame around Mattie's cute face. You can see I spend a lot of time thinking about donuts these days! Thank you Emily for this idea!

I end this blog tonight with some glorious pictures. Ann sent these to me today! The pictures illustrate SSSAS first graders working hard in preparation for Mattie's carwash on saturday. Thank you first graders for these delightful pictures and for making the time in your day to support Mattie. What a special gift you gave us tonight!



SSSAS first graders (and Ms. Williams - Mattie's Kindergarten teacher) hard at work!















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
how is everyone doing? That is so great that mattie's school is holding a car wash and a bake sale! So Mattie have you learned any new, cool magic tricks, if you have i cant wait till i can see them! Well anyways i miss you all and i hope to see you all very, very soon.
Love always,
Mimi