Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 12, 2008

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Quote of the day: From Maria (my new friend and a parent of an osteosarcoma survivor):

"When you are fighting an enemy as powerful as Osteosarcoma, you just can't take a break!"


Mattie woke up today in a good mood, because he knew he was going to see his Boston family before they returned home today. While Mattie was up and about, I basically couldn't move from bed. I developed a fever, swollen eyes, and a terrible cough. I figured I would stay in bed and rest today, but then reality set in, I knew I needed antibiotics, otherwise, there would be no way I could continue to be around Mattie and help him in the hospital starting on monday. So I decided to call up my family internist. Just to find out that she no longer offers an after hour call service. So basically I guess she only wants me to get sick on monday through friday from 9am to 5pm! I felt helpless, because I knew I wasn't up to a five hour ER visit. So guess who I called? If you guessed Ann, our Team Mattie Coordinator, then you guessed correctly! I called Ann and left her a desperate message. Within 15 minutes she had Dr. Bob (her husband) call me back. I described my symptoms to Bob (Mattie's surgeon), and he called in a prescription of antibiotics for me. Thank you Bob! I am not sure where our family would be without Ann and Bob. I am glad I don't have to wonder.

Mattie had a great time this morning with his Grandma and his cousins. They were outside playing and enjoying each others company. As they were leaving, my mother-in-law and sister-in-law came up to say good-bye to me, but I did not hear them come in, but I was awake when my nephew, Nat, came in. He came in very quietly and said good-bye and then held my hand. It was very sweet and very darling. Mattie enjoyed visiting with family this weekend!

For the rest of the day, both Peter and I were feeling tired and under the weather. Thankfully my parents were here, and they took Mattie to their apartment for the entire day. They played every game possible, and even hung out in Mattie's clubhouse that he made out of cardboard boxes! We all had dinner together tonight, and now we are ramping up for the hospital tomorrow. Thank you Mommy and Daddy, we would have been up a creek without you today!

Thank you Susie for the wonderful soups and pasta! It was so nice of you to think of us, and Mattie loves his halloween cat! I want to thank Katie May for planning a visit to the hospital this week with other SSSAS seniors to play with Mattie. I am sure he will enjoy meeting all of you. I am so impressed with these seniors, and I can't get over their compassion and dedication to Mattie.

On the electronic front, I want to thank Nancy (A parent of an osteosarcoma survivor, who was a patient of Dr. Henshaw’s. Thank you for your special prayer for Mattie), Carey C. (my new osteosarcoma e-mail pal), Brian Boru, Barbsie, and Brandon (Mattie’s big buddy at Georgetown Hospital) for the wonderful e-mails and Emily W, Kim, and Karen for your great e-cards. I end tonight with an incredible thank you to all our readers. Yesterday afternoon Peter added a counter to the blog. This would give us some idea how many hits we receive to the blog. Within one day, Mattie's blog received over 300 hits. Totally amazing! Whenever I feel alone, I reflect on all of you who are with us on this journey.

No comments: