Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 29, 2008

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mattie had another wild night of sleep on tuesday. Basically he was up every hour. We have gotten to the point, that we do not like the night hours. Mattie has FULL days, and you would think with his level of activity he would be exhausted. I think his popping up and down last night got to him this morning. When he finally fell asleep at 6am, he slept until 10:30am. He woke up crying at 10:30am, but he was willing to get up, get dressed, have breakfast, and plan his day. This morning we worked on several puzzles and he was motivated to get out his dragonfly kite (thanks John P.!)and fly it. You will see some pictures below that I captured of Mattie today. He is such an active fellow, that I fear what the near future holds for him when he can't have much use of three of his limbs.
Mattie and his dragonfly kite!

Mattie was proud of his kite taking flight! When I watch him with his kite, it is as if he feels in control, and you can see the joy in his eyes that he is getting this to work!

Mattie had a visit from JJ and JP (JJ's owner) today. JP bought Mattie a lovely pizza (which Mattie enjoyed thoroughly tonight!) and gave him some wonderful homemade marshmallows. Mattie is a happy camper, and enjoyed watching JJ outside running around and enjoying the cold. JJ and JP are an important part of Mattie's life because they add a certain amount of comfort and support to his daily routine. My parents and I took Mattie out to lunch today. Something he likes to do lately! He ate beautifully at lunch and played word scramble games, mazes, and of course the old faithful, legos. Some people don't leave home without their AMEX card, well I don't leave home without Mattie's bag of legos. I made that mistake once, and learned my lesson dearly. Mattie was in good spirits throughout lunch, and was looking forward to his computer lesson with Mary Dressendorfer (Mattie's SSSAS technology teacher) later today.

Mattie and I spent a good chunk of the afternoon going through his e-cards and photos again. He gets a lot of joy looking at these things. I also appreciate the great halloween websites many of you have sent to Mattie. When Mary arrived, Mattie was engaged and eager to learn. Mary shared a fantastic website with us that she is designing. One of the links on her website is to www.starfall.com. What a fabulous site, where Mattie was working on reading skills and having fun following the instructions to make his own jack'o'lantern. Mary worked with Mattie for over an hour, and I had the chance to go upstairs sit on my bed, and I actually turned on the TV and watched a mindless movie (well it was a Sandra Bullock movie if you must know, who I happen to love). It was glorious! Our family is enjoying the opportunity to get to know Mary. She is a very sweet, compassionate, understanding, and bright individual, and we are so happy she is in our life. See a picture of Mattie and Mary in front of Mattie's Haunted Mansion!


Mattie and I continued to fly his kite later today, until Grammie, Pop Pop, and then Daddy arrived. Thanks to the Parker family we had a lovely chinese food dinner, and Mattie loved the glow sticks, pen, and flashing wand. Thank you for these fun gifts. Mattie enjoyed the happy meal too! My parents had a lovely chat with our neighbor, Malcolm today. Malcolm, gave us a VERY generous gift card to McCormick and Schmick's. That was very thoughtful of Malcolm to treat us to a nice dinner. Malcolm is a very caring neighbor, who is a devoted caregiver to his mother, and his warm smile, compassion, and support each time we see him, means so much to us.

I would like to acknowledge Katie May tonight. Katie is a senior at SSSAS. Katie and I actually share a lot in common such as we both love to dance, we love helping other people, and specifically we both are very focused on Mattie's treatment. Katie writes to me weekly and she has visited Mattie at the hospital as well. Katie spoke with her advisor and the head of the upper school of SSSAS and brainstormed a school wide bake sale that is happening thursday through saturday to support the Mattie fund. Katie's flyer features a wonderful picture of Mattie in a superman costume. The flyer says:

Our Superhero
Mattie Brown
Please help us support Team Mattie!
Donut Sale
Thursday, October 30th & Friday, October 31st
Upper School Lobby at 7:45 am
Donut & Bake Sale
Saturday, November 1st
at the Football Game (Senior Day)
by concession stands at noon

Thank you Katie and the SSSAS upper school for helping our family!

On the electronic front thank you Brian Boru, Susan, Karen, and Lorraine for the wonderful e-cards. Thank you Susan D. for the fabulous singing card that came in the mail today! All of these musical things bring an instant smile to Mattie's face. I appreciate all of your e-mails and support. There are times I feel like I live in the twilight zone or a parallel universe. The world is revolving around me, and life is going on for everyone else, but not for us. I can see it going on, but I can't stop it or slow it down, all I can do is continue to plug away doing the best I can. Mattie is VERY much looking forward to seeing Linda tomorrow. Linda has planned some halloween activities thursday, and funny isn't it, that I would be saying we are looking forward to returning just for the day to the PICU?!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I look forward to seeing you too Mattie!!! =) Hope everyone is sleeping!!!