Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 19, 2010

Monday, October 18, 2010

Monday, October 18, 2010

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2007.  Mattie and I took many pictures together on this tiny hill over the years. This hill is just outside a restaurant we took Mattie to in Rockville, MD. Mattie loved this particular restaurant because of the fish, turtles, and other interesting creatures that swam or surrounded the outdoor pond. Sometimes it is hard to look at these pictures and believe that Mattie is no longer with us. It simply doesn't make sense.

Quote of the day: An old monk was once asked why he cared for ancient graves, and why he cleaned the stones to preserve the writings carved there. His reply was simple: "They still have their names. They will always have their names." A life infused with love has consequences that reach beyond time - ensuring that names, and places, and memories of what was still are, and always will be. They are not dead, can never die. ~ Gregory and Suzanne Wolfe

Tonight's quote is very meaningful, because despite Mattie's physical presence being gone from this earth, his NAME will always be with us. His name is the centerpiece of our Foundation, and clearly Mattie's life was infused with love. Love from his family and love that branched out to Team Mattie and beyond. Mattie's name and Mattie's battle with cancer are permanently imprinted in the hearts and minds of all those touched by his life. On days when I wonder if I ever was a mom, if Mattie was a part of my life, or days when I simply have doubts, I just need to look at all the people in our lives who STILL remember and whose lives have been impacted by Mattie's cancer and death. Mattie's name lives on through all of us, and his courageous fight with osteosarcoma is something not to be forgotten.

Unfortunately we live in a world where children are stricken with cancer everyday, and they and their families are forced to battle the unthinkable. We learned this week that Bridget's (a friend of Mattie's, and a teen treated at the same hospital as Mattie) cancer has returned. Peter and I are so disheartened to hear this news and know the long battle she has already fought and will now once again have to endure. In addition, we also learned that Peter's colleague, whose daughter has brain cancer, is in the end stages of her life. She is ONLY 4! My head spins when I hear this news, because children are NOT supposed to develop life threatening illness, and most of all die before they even had a chance to live.

It was another cold and gloomy day in Los Angeles, but I went to the mall with my parents and my mom and I literally walked laps around the entire mall. Sometimes moving around makes me feel better, and certainly the rain isn't helping any of our moods. Over lunch we talked about American movies, of which I no longer have the patience or interest in seeing. I am very upset or perhaps disgusted by our society's priorities. Priorities which are only reflected in today's movies. Movies without plots, story development, meaningful characters, and moral values. I went on a diatribe at lunch about how our American movie and TV stars are grossly overpaid, and for what? After two hours in a theatre, is your life really transformed? Our society undervalues what is important, which are people like teachers, nurses, doctors, therapists (of all kinds..... mental health, speech, occupational, and physical) and let's NOT FORGET mothers! I find it incomprehensible that our children can be suffering with antiquated cancer treatments and even dying, and yet we are okay with the salaries we dole out to those we deem as "stars."

The movie topic came up because my parents took me to see a foreign film this afternoon. They know I am a harsh movie critic, so they wouldn't insist on taking me to a movie if they thought I was going to pan it! Today, I had the pleasure of seeing Mao's Last Dancer. This movie was incredible, and based on a true story. It was touching, educational, and the dancing captured the heart and eye! I included the trailer to the movie (below) in case you want to see it. But the quote used to advertise the movie is, "Before you dance, you have to be free!" So well stated about dancing and life in general.

MAO'S LAST DANCER is the epic story of a young poverty stricken boy from China and his inspirational journey to international stardom as a world-class dancer.The story begins when a young Li is taken from his peasant home by the Chinese government and chosen to study ballet in Beijing.  Separated from his family and enduring countless hours of practice, Li struggles to find his place in the new life he has been given.  Gaining confidence from a kind teacher's encouraging guidance and a chance trip to America, Li finally discovers that his passion has always been dance.  MAO'S LAST DANCER weaves a moving tale about the quest for freedom and the courage it takes to live your own life.  The film poignantly captures the struggles, triumphs and the intoxicating effects of first love and celebrity amid the pain of exile.

In addition, to the dancing, which I LOVED, the cultural aspects of this story fascinated me. The movie did an excellent job at giving us a snapshot into life in communist China. A life that most of us growing up in America can't appreciate. We can't relate to having NO freedoms or our government dictating our careers, our thoughts, and how we live our lives. When this young 18 year old dancer from China comes to America in the movie for a three month internship at the Houston Ballet, you can see the cultural struggles he faces. Because, how can he be true to his traditional culture, and yet develop independence, his own thoughts, and the ability to make decisions for himself? We were able to watch this all unfold on the screen, in a very poignant and touching manner. I left the theatre today saying, US movie producers and directors could learn a lot from their Australian and English counterparts.

Movie Trailer to Mao's Last Dancer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYK1efZRZAU

After the movie we went out to dinner. While eating, there was a family sitting across from us with two boys. As I was watching them eating, I couldn't help but think of Mattie and the fact that when Peter and I sit at a dinner table, we no longer look like this family. Our family has been shattered. On a more humorous note, I opened my fortune after dinner and it read.... "You are humorous and cheerful with good friends." I laughed at this fortune because I asked my parents if this meant..... I am humorous and cheerful when I am in the company of good friends, or does this mean I am humorous and cheerful, and I also have good friends!? As you can see, nothing is ever simple with me, not even a fortune!

No comments: