Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 12, 2010

Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday, November 12, 2010

Tonight's picture was taken in the Fall of 2005 in Margaret's classroom. Margaret captured this moment in time. Peter and I love this picture because it shows the strong willed and focused side of Mattie. If he was determined to do something, then watch out. Because one way or another it was going to happen. In the beginning I was timid about giving Mattie sharp objects to hold and cut with. However, what I noticed about Mattie early on was he had good fine motor abilities. As you can see, Mattie went to town on this pumpkin. He even had pumpkin on his face! This is one of my favorite Fall pictures.


Quote of the day: Because he lived, there is more love in the world than there would have been without him. And for him, that was the reason above all others for the gift of life. ~ Martin Buber

Once a month, as the chair of the board of professional counseling in the District of Columbia, I preside over our meetings. Today was a packed agenda, mainly because we had an open forum for members of the community to come before us and dialogue and ask questions about the new regulations we just passed regarding the practice of addiction counselors. The meeting started at 9am and I did not leave before 2:30pm. By 2:30pm, I was brain dead and nothing I was reading was making sense anymore. However, despite the intensity and length of time, the staff for the board are incredible people. They are bright, dedicated, and are also humorous. I have served on this board for almost 7 years, and this is one of the professional leadership positions I loved right from the start. Even after Mattie's death, I still find this position stimulating, challenging, and take safe guarding the practice of counseling in the District seriously. I honestly can't say that my feelings have remained the same about much else in my life since Mattie's death, so this does say something about this board and the role.

Throughout the day, I exchanged messages with Mary's care companion, and I knew that Mary had some food requests for my visit tonight. So after the meeting, I went to get the things Mary needed, came home and checked on Peter, who wasn't feeling well, and then ran back out to spend time with Mary. Peter will be fine, but needs to rest before this becomes a full blown something.

Mary was wide awake when I arrived and we chatted for hours. We spoke to her cousin Helen, because Mary really wanted an update about her town in Massachusetts. Mary loved hearing about the news and we talked quite a bit after the phone call was over about some of the things Helen shared with us. As I was talking to Mary tonight, her room mate was a bit agitated and swore she saw a live chicken in the room. She jumped up from her bed and was chasing the imaginary chicken around the room. Naturally I realize my new friend has severe cognitive limitations due to her disease, but honestly when Mary and I looked at each other we couldn't help but burst out in laughter. Sometimes you just have to laugh at life's situations, and though we were NOT laughing at our friend, we most certainly were laughing at the notion that a chicken was in the room. It was our fun for the evening, and laughter can be very powerful medicine.

As we head into the weekend, tomorrow is Peter's birthday. Despite his desire not to celebrate it, I just can't let that happen. So I have plans for him. However, it is yet another bittersweet weekend for us, because on Sunday the Georgetown University Hospital is hosting its annual Remembrance Day. This is a ceremony in honor of all the children who died at the Hospital. We attended this event last year, and it was a very emotional day for us. I am well aware that last year at this time I was quite numb, now I feel things much more, so I have no idea what Sunday will hold for us, or why I felt compelled to sign Peter and I up again to say a few words. Somehow I feel compelled in these public forums to share Mattie's memory with others.

I received this youtube link from three people so far this week. So I know when I receive things in threes, I feel compelled to share it. The video link features....... "The Philadelphia Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, teaming up with over 130 NFL Alumni Philadelphia Chapter Cheerleaders and UnitedHealthcare of Pennsylvania, invite the world to help "Team Ra-Ras Kick Breast Cancer." To encourage viewers to share the video with others and increase breast cancer awareness, UnitedHealthcare will donate ten cents ($.10) per view to The Philadelphia Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure up to a maximum donation of $100,000."

http://www.youtube.com/user/KomenPhilly?feature=mhsn#p/a/u/0/cfRSDbV8Adw

No comments: