Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 3, 2011

Monday, January 3, 2011

Monday, January 3, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2006. Margaret, Mattie's preschool teacher, snapped this photo of us in her classroom. I made gingerbread houses for the children to decorate. It was a day of excitement in the preschool because first Mattie's class worked on the houses, and then later in the morning, all the other classrooms had a chance to add their ideas to the houses. I will never forget the look on the children's faces when they tasted the "royal icing" used to glue the candy pieces to the houses. I think the children were expecting glue but were happily surprised to taste sugar instead! It was one of those precious moments in time. Thankfully, I selected a cooperative preschool, which meant that parents were required to participate in the classroom on a regular basis. I look back on that decision as absolutely brilliant. I was always very involved in every aspect of his growth and development, and somehow I knew early on that I did not want to miss out on anything as it related to Mattie.

Quote of the day: The heart hath its own memory, like the mind. And in it are enshrined the precious keepsakes, into which is wrought the giver's loving thought. ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


Longfellow was absolutely right! My heart has a memory, actually a very deep and intense memory at that. In fact, I can remember places and people by how they made me feel. I may not necessarily remember all the content in these interactions, but feelings and emotions are basically recorded and stored in my heart. Fortunately I have such a memory bank, because within it is locked away the fact that I had a son, all the precious, tender, and loving moments I had with him in seven short years, and of course like any memory bank, it is also filled with memories of pain, sadness, and incredible destruction (which can happen to a body and mind ravaged by cancer).

It was another cold and rainy day in Los Angeles, however, when I return to Washington, DC on Tuesday, I have a feeling, LA's cold is going to be quite appealing in comparison. Despite the weather, we got out and about today. Along our journey, we bumped into my parent's neighbors. I had never met this particular family before, so when this 11 year old boy was waving in my direction and then saying hello to me, I was confused but responded. He then explained to me that he lived two doors down from my parents and continued on talking. What got me to take notice was his ability to be so engaging and communicate so well. He made wonderful eye contact, answered questions so well, and was charming. As he continued to talk with us, a part of my mind drifted off, and wondered what Mattie would have been like when he turned this boy's age? Naturally a question I have absolutely NO answer to, however, I imagine what caught my attention about this little boy was his spark. This type of spark and initiative are things that I always saw and admired in Mattie's eyes.

It is in encounters like this today, which make me pause and wonder why on earth Peter and I will never get the opportunity to see Mattie grow and develop? Why are so many other parents spared these experiences, and yet we were chosen to live with such intense grief? Mattie's death has left me with a great deal of questions and very few answers! I assure you living with all these questions and unsettling feelings is not easy.

I return to DC after 10pm on Tuesday, so on Tuesday night, Peter will be writing the blog! I appreciate him doing this because after a full day of travel, I am never sure what my energy level will be like. For those of you who know how well I fly, keep me in your thoughts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such an adorable picture, Vicki, of you, Mattie, and the gingerbread house! I know your memory bank is full of a collage of pictures, all producing a melange of feelings, from the happy and proud ones, that stem from having such a wonderful child as Mattie, to the anguished and questioning ones, from the inconceivable loss of that child. Life can be jarring, when tossed back and forth between such extremes.
Hope your flight back goes smoothly, with no physical jarring, at least.

Karen, Mother of Keaton for Always
www.caringbridge.org/visit/keatonlee