Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 10, 2011

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2003. As you can see Mattie was outside with Peter and his ride-on fire engine. Mattie loved ALL vehicles and he especially loved the color RED. I think it is ironic that Mattie began riding a red toy and as so many of you know his last toy (a motorized ride-on car, SPEEDY RED) was much larger and also very red.

Quote of the day: In youth one has tears without grief; in age, griefs without tears. ~ Joseph Roux


I began my day walking. I haven't done that in quite some time. I was planning on walking outside, but both Peter and Ann told me it was freezing outside and wasn't a good idea for me. So instead, I went to an indoor mall with Ann and we walked around. Not as nice as being outside, but it was better than walking on a treadmill. We walked over 2.7 miles together and talked about the Foundation Walk along our journey.

While I was with Ann today, she needed to stop at Mattie's school to pick up some materials she needed. I decided to wait in the car for her, and I figured that would be fine. What I did not figure on, was it was recess time for many of the younger children, and they exited their school building in groups and headed to the playground.

I have to tell you it was a very hard sight to see..... streams of children running to the playground, a playground Mattie spent many hours on. Yet in all the children I saw, something was missing.... Mattie! I remember Mattie bundled up and walking the same pathway as the children today. Some times I wonder why life is so unfair. Why are some children healthy and others are taken away from us? In the midst of all these thoughts, I could see Mattie's tree in the distance. Just like Bob's (Mattie's lower head of school) picture illustrated two nights ago, Mattie's tree has its leaves on it. I really do not understand this, since every tree around it is barren! Yet this tiny oak stands proud and strong. So between the children and the tree, it was a powerful visit. When Ann got back in the car, she could see that I wasn't in the best of places. If Mattie were alive today, he would be 8 years old, and in third grade. In Mattie's school, children who are in 3rd to 5th grade are in a separate building from where he was in kindergarten. So in essence Mattie would be older than any of the children I saw on the playground today. Yet in my mind, Mattie will always be 7, the age he was when he died. I unfortunately will never get to know Mattie at age 8, 9, 10, and so forth. These are years robbed from Peter and I, and I am not sure I can describe the feeling associated with this kind of loss, despite my best attempts each and every night.

This evening when I got back home, I received two packages in the mail. I wasn't expecting anything. But I received a valentine's day gift from my parents as well as a gift from my friend, Angie, in Boston. Angie and I went to graduate school together, and we both survived, and got our degrees, despite having abusive mentors. It is amazing how such an experience can bond people together. Angie is a faithful blog reader, and has followed our story since Mattie was diagnosed. To my surprise, Angie sent me chocolate heart shaped cookies. Needless to say, both packages brightened my day. I sometimes need brightening, especially when I have moments when the reality of Mattie's loss is just too much.

No comments: