Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 12, 2011

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 -- Mattie died 83 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2006 at the Reston Zoo. At first Mattie was a bit concerned about trying to ride the pony, but as you can see, he really liked it and he was smiling so brightly that his eyes were practically closed.

Quote of the day: There's not many things in life that take us through so many emotions at the same time. This whole ordeal has taken us from horror to shock, grief, sadness, joy and happiness and then back to sadness again. ~ Graham Mulligan

Today was a happy day and a sad day all at the same time. My dad celebrated his birthday today, and though I am not a phone person, I had the opportunity to chat with both of my parents. As is typical for parents, they can always tell when something isn't right with me. As my mom could tell, I needed emotional support, which I appreciated her acknowledging and also giving! The sad part of the day happened this evening, when I learned my 11 year old friend, Katharina's bird died. Mattie loved Katharina's bird, and Mattie loved collecting his feathers. For those of us who are pet owners we know how horrible it is to lose a family pet. Especially one that you are so close to. A first major loss like this is so hard for a young child to handle, but in a way having sad feelings and being able to grow from them is an important life lesson. Some hurts we can't take away from our children, they instead have to face them with our support.

I had the opportunity to have tea this morning with my friend Mary. Mary is a fellow preschool mom and was and continues to be very supportive of us and the Foundation. Each spring, she and her girls hand deliver flyers to local stores to publicize our Foundation Walk. I handed Mary 75 flyers today, and naturally I appreciate this HUGE effort. I also learned tonight that Tina (our friend who hosted my birthday party in 2010) and Jane (another preschool friend) got together to brainstorm how to publicize the Walk. I was deeply touched by this self-initiation and their desire to make this event successful. I guess based on my mood, I really needed this piece of information. I told Tina it was like she gave me a gift tonight.


Later this afternoon, I went back to Mattie's school to set up for the final art presentation tomorrow. Tomorrow's art session will discuss the friendship and rivalry between Picasso and Matisse. As is typical with all good rivals, it can inspire competition and greatness out of both people. It certainly did in the case of these artists. The children will have the opportunity to paint a still life in their own style (perhaps taking on aspects of Picasso and Matisse)! I tried to pick vibrant colors and create an interesting composition for the children. I can't wait to see what they create, and I have to tell you the classroom is already filled with the beautiful art they created over the last two weeks. It is a museum in the making!

Our friend, Tina is hosting an art show tomorrow and Thursday. A portion of the proceeds from the show will benefit the Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation. Tina's friend, Jill Steenhuis, is an impressionist artist who has studied in France and also lives there. Her show is entitled, "The Art of Provence An Exhibition of French Landscape and Still Life Paintings." At the show, Tina has asked that I provide some information about Pediatric Cancer and the Foundation as well as display some of Mattie's art work. So though we have posters we display at our Foundation Walk, I wanted to put together a different type of poster for Tina's event. So as you can see on my dining room table, the poster is becoming quite colorful. For more information about Jill, visit:  www.jillsteenhuis.com




While with Donna today, I was telling her that I needed to create a poster tonight. She brought me into the school's faculty work area and introduced me to an Ellison press machine. Well this was a sight and a match made in heaven for me. It is basically a machine that stamps out stencils. So the machine helped me make the MMCF, the child handprints, stars, and sunshines you see on this poster. In a way, Donna helped me get started with the layout, because once I had these shapes and colors, putting the content together just seemed to come naturally.


I would like to end tonight's posting with two messages. The first message is from Mattie's oncologist and our friend. Kristen wrote, "Peter, so happy to hear you are back at home....but what great stories from Africa. Vicki, today I presented at ODAC (similar to the meeting you attended last November at the FDA) 6 months of preparation..... And now...it is Tuesday and I remember your sweet Mattie...this Tuesday and everyday."

The second message is from my friend and colleague. Nancy wrote, "I am constantly amazed at the simple gifts such as meeting a new person or reconnecting with an old friend can be for a healing heart. Your writing about Ann's friend and his feelings about his two patients and Charlotte's having a prayer said as a Happy Birthday present to Mattie were special. With all of the harsh natural happenings to people and the otherwise negative reporting that goes on in the media, the blog continues to honor and remind everyone of the gentleness, generosity, and love experienced by us 'commoners.' Your writings were short on words this weekend and long on connection. Thank you, once again, for sharing."

No comments: