Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 9, 2011

Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday, May 9, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2007. As you can see, there was a lot going on, on our deck. Mattie had an inflatable pool that took up a 1/3 of the deck space, we had Patches sitting on the sandbox, and all of us eating together outside. Thank goodness we had those special moments and that we also captured them in pictures.


Quote of the day: The sorrow which has no vent in tears may make other organs weep. ~ Henry Maudsley

I began my day by sifting through emails. In my inbox, I was sent a video clip entitled, If I Had My Child to Raise Again. The title actually caught my attention and I therefore clicked on the link. I actually found the video very touching and very meaningful, and it cuts to the chase about life. The true meaning and joy in life is not about doing, competing, or completing tasks. It is about the sincere and genuine connections we make with others. Especially our children. You only have one opportunity to raise your child, so the video in essence asks you how you want to spend that time. Do you want to spend it looking at your watch running from one activity to the next, or do you want to spend the time really watching your children grow? Needless to say, for me, who no longer actively raises a child, this video resonated with me. Because I know all too well, through Mattie's death, that what I remember and what is important was not the things accomplished or achieved, but the connections and lessons we learned together. I have gained a much clearer perspective on life and its priorities, one of which I try to write about or reflect upon each day here. I hope you find this video as powerful as I did! Click on the link to see the video: http://www.ifihadmychildtoraiseagain.com/

Today was a busy day. I stayed up to around 2am doing Foundation Walk plans, and then thanks to Patches she had me up by 7am. I accomplished a lot in terms of tasks, and while out, I even bumped into one of the preschool teachers at Mattie's school. The irony is she said she was thinking of me today, and then all of a sudden there I was! Mattie was never in this teacher's classroom, and therefore I haven't had the opportunity to spend much time with her. But we are changing that by meeting next week for coffee/tea.

I jumped around from one place to another today, and finally later in the afternoon, went home to do more work. Peter came home earlier today because he is wiped out and still on another time zone. I found him sitting on our deck working on his computer with the cat right next to him and one of Mattie's fountains bubbling in the background. It was wonderful to hear the fountain going again, and despite all the chores I did today, I found the time to buy a string of outdoor summer lights and a beautiful sun and moon wind chime to appreciate. We put both of these items up on our deck tonight after having dinner outside.

Despite my productivity, I started not feeling well again this afternoon. This particular feeling makes me absolutely crazy, because it is an indescribable pain. A type of pain where nothing makes you feel good or comfortable. Tomorrow evening I have a dress rehearsal at Georgetown University Hospital to prepare for the Grand Rounds on May 20. I am actually happy we are doing this, because when speaking to a crowd it is nice to understand the space and the equipment ahead of time.

No comments: