Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 15, 2011

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2003. What I love about this picture was it captured Mattie's look of curiosity and intrigue. Mattie was fascinated by many things and always wanted to explore and understand how things around him worked.


Quote of the day: Bereavement is a darkness impenetrable to the imagination of the unbereaved. ~ Iris Murdoch


Today was an early morning for us since the Sapphire Princess docked in Seattle at 7am. By 8:20am, after having our last meal in the dining room, we headed off the ship. It is hard to imagine that while I am writing this, someone else is in our cabin and starting their voyage to Alaska. This illustrates to me how fragile time is and how quickly it goes by.

We spent several hours at the airport with my parents before boarding our flight back to Washington, DC. Fortunately it was a pretty smooth flight. However, since I have been on the ship for seven days, I still feel like I am floating on water and definitely do not have my equilibrium. It will take my body a few days to adjust to being on solid ground. So in the meantime I took dramamine before flying because I can easily get motion sick if I do not taper down my dramamine consumption. I learned that lesson the hard way before. However, dramamine makes me very sleepy, and I could bearly keep my head up on the plane. Which for someone who hates flying, this is a VERY good thing.

We hit a lot of weather today while flying and in the clouds I could see lightning! Perfect for a person who is an anxious flyer. But our pilot, who was a woman, was absolutely great, and literally there was very little turbulence considering all she was manuvering through.

While in the air, Peter captured some wonderful pictures, which I will share below with you. Tonight's blog is going to be short, because we got home at 10:30pm, we unpacked, did laundry, went grocery shopping, and we are wiped out. Alaska is FOUR hours behind Washington, DC, and I already feel confused time wise.


The Cascade Mountains
The Cascade Mountains
The Cascade Mountains
The Cascade Mountains

The Cascade Mountains -- through the clouds!
We flew right over Chicago, and as you can see our view was quite clear from 30,000 feet!

No comments: