Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 24, 2011

Monday, October 24, 2011

Monday, October 24, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2006. Peter, Mattie, and I practically visited a different local fall festival each weekend in October. Outdoor time was crucial for Mattie and typically despite the temperature, we were out there right along side him exploring. In this visit to a pumpkin patch, Peter and Mattie grabbed a wheel barrel because Mattie's intention was to fill it with pumpkins to take home. This was an activity right up Mattie's alley. Mattie loved tools, things with wheels, and naturally pumpkins. So the fact that we combined tools and pumpkins in one setting was a big hit.


Quote of the day: We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are. ~ Anais Nin

My friend, Charlie, sent me this quote today. I admit when I first read it, I paused and had to re-read it! In a way this quote means a great deal to anyone who works in the mental health profession. The basis of our profession is that people come to us with issues and problems, but it is NOT necessarily the "things" in a client's life that need exploring or changing. Also in many circumstances the "things" in our clients' lives are unavoidable and also can't be controlled. However, the art of any good therapist is to be able to step into your clients' world and understand their perspective. Each of us approaches life with our own lens. This lens has been nurtured over our lifetime and through our experience (both good and bad) this lens develops a sensitivity and clarity for certain things. Which is why two people may interpret the same interpersonal interaction quite differently! This is because we see things not necessarily as they are, but as we interpret and perceive them to be. The art of therapy is to focus on clients' perceptions, on their lens, and in some cases assist the client in re-evaluating what they are seeing and hearing so that they can be more objective or simply view "things" in a different and more healthy manner.

It is ironic that I would receive this quote today considering that I spent the entire day presiding over an ethical violation case of a mental health professional in the District of Columbia. I was at this case for seven hours straight with NOT one food break. I am used to working with my board's attorney and my board members on these types of trials. But today, I learned my attorney was undergoing surgery, and I had to work with a different professional. Also in addition to my typical board members, members from the board of social work  were also participating in our hearing. It is hard enough to try an ethical violation case, to endure all these hours, but when you change some things up on me, I don't like it or always manage it well. However, what I did was adjust my perception. Yes things were going to be different because of the lawyer and board members, but that did not mean the hearing would be compromised. In fact, things worked out fine because I was very upfront and open about my concerns at the hearing. So instead of keeping my perceptions and feelings to myself, I aired them with the new attorney and what that accomplished was we were able to understand each other and developed our own working rhythm to have a successful hearing.

Needless to say, I am exhausted tonight. Sitting still, concentrating, and moderating witnesses for seven hours was quite taxing. Top it off with no food, and I was not a happy camper. So I am signing off for today and as always thank you for clicking in and staying connected with us!  

No comments: