Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 6, 2011

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2005. What this picture was saying was..... MOM PLEASE STOP with the picture taking!!! I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!! Mattie wasn't always a fan of pictures, but as you know this did not stop me. Fortunately I captured him during the various developmental stages and during the day to day antics of his life. I can't imagine where Peter and I would be now without having pictures?!

Quote of the day: Grief is a healthy emotion, and it's healthy to embrace it. By accepting loss, we clarify our values and the meaning of our lives. ~ DEAN KOONTZ

As promised, the question of the day is....................................................
Have you voted for Tricia (Mattie's nurse) today?
(Remember you can vote ONCE every 24 hours!!!)

For more information about the Johnson and Johnson Amazing Nurse Contest, please read my September 28, 2011 blog posting. Your daily vote is important and will bring Tricia closer to becoming a finalist.

Click on this link to vote for Patricia Grusholt: http://wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/157336/voteable_entries

I started my day by going into Mattie's room. As I entered it, I noticed his Lightning McQueen toy car was in the middle of the floor. It wasn't like that last night and neither one of us moved it. So the question becomes, HOW did this toy car miraculously turn up in the middle of the room, when it was stored safely in a bin across the room? My only conclusion, as odd as this might sound, is that Mattie was sending me a message. Mattie LOVED Lightning McQueen and if a message was going to be sent to me, I would imagine Lightning McQueen would be Mattie's medium of choice!

My main task of the morning was to put Patches, our Calico cat, in her carrying case and to bring her to the vet for boarding. Anyone who owns a cat, and an anxious one at that, understands that capturing one's cat and getting her into a box is a grand feat. The last time I did this, Patches gave me an extremely hard time. So today I had a strategy, YES I need a strategy for my cat! I pretended that I was going about my usual daily activities at home. So when I swooped down to lift her up, she had no idea what was happening. Thankfully it was a smooth transition for her, though she was less than pleased with me, as she was howling all the way to the vet's. However, as soon as I walked into the vet's office, it was NOT I who received a greeting and a HELLO, but guess who did?! They all oh and ah over Patches, which I am happy about. Our vet and her staff love Patches, and they got to know her very well when Mattie was battling cancer. She lived at the vet for over a year, and though that might sound harsh, it was the best (though costly) place for her. During that time, she had to have radiation on her thyroid because of one of her illnesses, and they also began treating her for renal failure. So Patches is a kitty who needs patience, kindness, and medical care.

It was a day of chores, but between chores, I met up with Ann and we walked four miles together. It was a glorious weather day here, and our walking accomplished two things, we exercised, but we also had a chance to talk about a whole host of things. Along our journey together, we also ran into Lana, one of Mattie's preschool teachers. Mattie and Lana got along splendidly and it is funny whenever I see one of Mattie's preschool teachers, I am instantly transported back to 2005 or 2006. Years which at the time I thought were stressful, but looking back, I realize they were precious and priceless. Mattie came into his own at Resurrection Children's Center, he developed so many strengths, self confidence, and friends. It was two empowering years that will always remain with me.

This evening, I am packing up to head to Cape Cod for five days. I have set up the blog for the next five days, and I am happy to report that Peter figured out a way for me to access the Internet through the blackberry. Apparently you can tether the blackberry to a computer and the computer will use the blackberry's data plan. I am not the technical one in the family, but I am thrilled Peter figured it out. So the next blog posting will be coming to you from Massachusetts!

No comments: