Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 22, 2012

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sunday, January 22, 2012


Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2009. After we took Mattie to see the Lion King in NYC, we exited the theatre and right in front of us was Times Square. Naturally this did not surprise Karen, but it certainly caught Mattie and I off guard. I hadn't been to Times Square in years and Mattie had never seen it. Mind you when we entered the theatre to see the show, it was still somewhat light outside. We were blown away by the lights and the incredible number of people all over the place. However, you can see a big smile on Mattie's face. He loved seeing the Lion King and in fact he was bouncing in his seat to the music. Mattie loved music and I suspect he liked dancing too! Peter captured a picture of Mattie, Karen, and I right in the midst of the excitement that can only be found in NYC!

Quote of the day: Consider the following. We humans are social beings. We come into the world as the result of others' actions. We survive here in dependence on others. Whether we like it or not, there is hardly a moment of our lives when we do not benefit from others' activities. For this reason it is hardly surprising that most of our happiness arises in the context of our relationships with others. ~ Dalai Lama

Last night, I was sitting upstairs by my desk working on the computer and I started to smell smoke and fire. I called downstairs to Peter who hadn't smelled it yet. However, within minutes of my pronouncement, we heard something that sounded like a gun shot. We looked out the window and saw that a pick-up truck was on fire and its engine had exploded. It was a frightening sight. I think what was most disturbing was it seemed like it took forever for a fire engine to respond.

As you can see this truck was basically consumed by the fire. The driver and the passenger had escaped but literally they were standing by the wall, way too close to the car in my opinion. Traffic was stopped for miles and for about an hour. It took quite some time to contain this fire and Peter and I were just watching in amazement.





Peter and I continued working today to prepare for Wednesday's Whole Foods event and as is typical with winter weather, it was a grey and cold day. Rather depressing to look at and sometimes without sun I feel I have no benchmark to the day. Morning, afternoon, and evening just seem to blend into one another.

I find I am simply tired this weekend and again not feeling well, so I am signing off for the evening in hopes that tomorrow is a better day. I did receive a lovely email today from my friend and colleague Nancy, and was very touched by my new name..... the heart whisperer!

Nancy wrote, "Your writing always teaches me something. I knew that Mattie's left leg was called George and I loved learning the names of his arms and right leg as well. Curious George is perfect for his left leg. It really did develop a mind of its own as it adapted to his needs and supported him in special ways. I try to imagine the depth of your pain and I realize that I can't. I know that you hope that I never have to, too! Heidi et al. at Zumba, another connection. You are a magnet of good deeds and feelings. I believe that is why the Foundation is being helped and supported by so many resources. Congrats on your newest sponsor, the Girl Scout Troop. What a great idea for the kids/people at the hospital! We all need something or someone to hug and while there isn't a substitute, fully, for a genuine hug, a bear will always do the trick. I loved the quote and realize how hard it is for some to hear the whispers of the heart. I wish you a better day today, my heart whisperer."


No comments: