Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 25, 2012

Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday, May 25, 2012


Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2008. The boxed structure next to Mattie was built by him in construction club. Construction club was taught after school by his kindergarten teacher and he absolutely loved it. Basically he got to design and build things out of everyday materials. There was NO limit to his creativity. I credit this club to inspiring Mattie and the skills he developed in this club became life saving tools during his battle with cancer.  Everyone in the hospital knew that shipping boxes had to be saved for Mattie, because they knew all the great things he would transform the boxes into. For example, one large box, became an apartment building, with an actual elevator. He built the elevator out of wheels and string he found in clinic. After building, he would then play with the structures, and this helped pass time when confined for days and weeks in a small hospital room.

Quote of the day: Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


Peter and I arrived safely to our local beach destination. While driving today, I got an email from my friend Tina. Tina wanted to know if I was feeling any better. I emailed her back and told her that I wasn't doing better and probably needed antibiotics. Within seconds, she looked up a local CVS for me and gave me the number and address. Tina actually inspired me to be pro-active with getting a prescription before getting to the beach. So Tina got me the pharmacy connection, and next I needed a doctor. I could have called my primary care doctor, but most likely she would have given me a hard time and would have wanted to see me. Which of course wasn't possible, since I was traveling in a car. So I decided to text message, Bob. Bob is Ann's husband and Mattie's surgeon. I try not to bother Bob, unless I have a problem! Today, I deemed myself as physically failing, and I knew I needed antibiotics.

Naturally Bob helped me, we discussed antibiotic choices, and then he called in a prescription for me. Fortunately he did, because I have a raging fever now, am completely wiped out, and look and sound horrible. So I am signing off for tonight in hopes that I can get sleep and feel slightly better tomorrow.

No comments: