Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 30, 2012

Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday, July 30, 2012

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2008. That was the month Mattie began chemotherapy, and with the diagnosis of cancer Mattie's world was transformed. Suddenly whether he learned to read, understand math, or play sports all seemed irrelevant and TOTALLY unimportant. I have to say, at least for us, art became our saving grace. We united on it as a family, and it really engaged Mattie's mind, body, and heart. During Mattie's treatment, he created many boxed structures. So much so, that Mattie's hospital family saved all sorts of boxes for him so that he could build, design, and basically stay active. If it weren't for these projects, Mattie would have totally checked out of living emotionally. Ironically, I can no longer look at a box the same way anymore. To me a box is so much more than a receptacle for storage or shipping things. Because of Mattie, I now look at boxes as having all sorts of possibilities.


Quote of the day: You know a heart can be broken, but it keeps on beating just the same. ~ Fannie Flagg

There is a great deal of truth in this quote. In fact, recently I was emailing with a mom who lost her child ten years ago, and in her email she stated that she thinks it is quite possible to die of a broken heart. That may sound physically impossible or even ridiculous. But I know better now. One's emotional state can wreck havoc on one's biological state, and the death of a child, can and does set off a chain of all sorts of negativity, which I believe does impact one's physical health.  

Despite the heat, I walked about four miles today. I walk for my mental health, not necessarily my physical health. I find getting outside, in fresh air, and being around people very important. While walking, I had the opportunity to watch two summer camps, a baseball and a soccer camp practicing outside. The boys were all around Mattie's age or perhaps a year or two older. Needless to say, it is hard to accept that all these children are outside playing and developing, and Mattie is no longer. Observing this made me reflect on a passage from The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, when Amelia reflected upon the loss of her son in war: "Life goes on. What nonsense, I thought, of course it doesn't. It's death that goes on; Ian is dead now and will be dead tomorrow and next year and forever. There's no end to that." While most parents are working with their children in the present, in the here and now, Peter and I are working in the past. It isn't good to live in the past, but what happens if we do not live in the past? Then it means we to some extent do not carry Mattie's memory into our present and future.

As my readers know, on Saturday we went to an exhibit of the Titanic. Since posting about this museum exhibit on the blog, I have learned that my friend Helen's high school teacher was a survivor of the Titanic, and my friend Carolyn met and got to know Dr. Ballard, the oceanographer who discovered the Titanic's remains in 1985. Talk about a small world! I told Helen I want to hear more about her teacher, and Carolyn told me today that Dr. Ballard and I share something in common..... the death of our sons. Dr. Ballard apparently lost his son 20 years ago, yet Carolyn mentioned that this loss is still a very significant part of his life. Which of course validates my feelings and thinking! What this also tells me is we truly have no idea what others are living with unless we truly scratch the surface and spend time understanding and hearing about their experiences.  

No comments: