Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 24, 2012

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2008. Mattie was in the hospital and recovering from his second limb salvaging surgery. Which meant that three out of four limbs were operated on! After Mattie's surgeries, one of the goals was to get his body moving and certainly to exercise his lungs to prevent fluids from building up in them post-surgery. One of the ways we would get Mattie to use his lungs was through blowing a straw. Team Mattie gave us these funny straw glasses and though Mattie was hesitant to use them, I put them on to try to encourage him. Mattie thought I was a riot to watch!

Quote of the day: The pleasure of remembering had been taken from me, because there was no longer anyone to remember with. It felt like losing your co-rememberer meant losing the memory itself, as if the things we'd done were less real and important than they had been hours before. ~ John Green


 
On Friday, when we toured the Sleepy Hollow Lighthouse, there was a playground on the grounds which caught our attention. I couldn't find the photo on my camera last night, but while downloading photos today I found it. To me this is the most unusual playground equipment I have ever seen. Basically these white things are climbing blocks for kids, but in the shape of teeth!    
 
We joked that this playground set up had to be designed by a dentist! Check out the bench right next to the teeth... it is two toothbrushes side by side!
 
We packed up this morning and were in the car by 10am. Before getting on the highway, we went to visit the neighborhood I grew up in and passed my old house. It was amazing to see that  some things do not change. Our return trip home seemed endless. Traffic was awful. Along our journey I snapped a picture of the NYC skyline.
 
It seemed like we experienced many weather changes along our car trip today. At times we saw the sun, at times it snowed, and then at other times the sky was so dramatic. As you can see there were rays of sunshine desperately trying to shine through the clouds. It looked very ethereal.
 
As we drove through Baltimore, the Enchantment of the Seas was in port. Several cruise ships now leave out of Baltimore, and to me it is always a lovely sight to see a ship while driving through Maryland. Maybe it is because I know this ship is going to the Caribbean, away from the cold and grey skies.



Peter and I were in the car for about 7 hours. Tonight I feel very tired and motion sick. So I am signing off for the evening and I know Patches (our cat) is thrilled to be home.
 
 
 
 
 


 

No comments: