Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 12, 2013

Friday, April 12, 2013

Friday, April 12, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2009. Dr. Gonzalez, one of the HEM/ONC doctors in the Georgetown practice, came by on her rounds to see Mattie and to chat with us. As you can see, Mattie had her pager out and was learning how to use it! This particular doctor got Mattie. She just understood his personality, his liveliness, his need for questions and inquisitiveness, and she also understood how to work around his moods. Most likely because they are both emotional beasts. Like myself. We all speak the same language. One thing I will always respect about this doctor is her understanding that Mattie was in pain. She read the signs well and did not view his constant request for pain meds as an addiction (which others I assure you did!). At the end of the day, she and I were both right. Mattie was in intense pain, and I am so glad I did not withhold pain medication, because in Mattie's case that would have been cruel and unusual punishment!


Quote of the day: No one would have crossed the ocean if he could have gotten off the ship in the storm. ~ Charles F. Kettering


I spent the majority of my day in a professional counseling licensure board meeting. Almost six hours to be exact. We are creating regulations for a new license being implemented. A license to regulate new professionals right out of graduate school. When I tell you it has taken years to create this language, I am not kidding. In the midst of regulations, we also went through licensure applications, as well as ethical violations presented to us. Needless to say it was a FULL day!


On my drive home from the meeting, I passed this park in DC. Every time I pass this park in the spring, it makes me pause. I find it breathtaking. So at a stop light, I whipped out my camera to capture this "Spring in Air" photo. Peter and I are getting ready to have a weekend of deck cleaning to prepare our space for painting. We literally paint it every spring and then of course plant our flowers. I know my neighbors upstairs are awaiting our activity and with this change in warm weather, I am very inspired to be outside. Especially after being cooped up by a computer all week working on Foundation items. For the past couple of nights, do you want to guess what has been visiting our deck? A BAT!!! Now I have to tell you, I am NOT a fan of bats, but guess who thought they were neat!? Mattie would have loved every minute of this bat visit and my screaming. Peter of course reminds me the bat is eating bugs and mosquitos, but honestly!!!!

No comments: