Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 14, 2013

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 -- Mattie died 192 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2002. Mattie was three months old and from my perspective full of smiles and laughter. Mattie was born on, engaged, and hard wired. There was NO down time with him since he rarely slept! As I am struggling with my own exhaustion right now, I found this photo inspirational tonight.


Quote of the day: I'm so exhausted and yet I feel like I'll never sleep again. ~ Maya Banks


I relate to Maya Banks quote tonight. Just when I think it isn't possible to feel worse or more tired, I reach a new low. When I am stressed out, I don't sleep well or at all. Now Peter is sick and running a fever and it feels like.... and then there were none here in my home! I am not sure what I am balancing first with Sunday's Foundation Walk. I am sure to the outsider one wonders how hard could it be to host such an event?! What is she talking about???!!! Well all I can say is you would have to follow my life for the last few months to get the level of intensity it takes to run such an event. There is a great deal of pressure associated with the event as well, because it isn't simply the notion of planning a fun day, but it has to be a day that achieves a financial goal. Without meeting the financial goal we set it is hard to continue the high quality psychosocial services we offer at both the local and national levels.

For example, this year in order to run our event we need about 70 volunteers! Just managing the spreadsheet on this is a riot! As I have said to Peter today, I am simply exhausted and I am not sure why this Walk seems harder than those in the past. I have several theories as to why this is the case. In the midst of doing Walk planning, I had a think tank conference call with psychologists from around the Country. I participate on several conference calls a month to help generate a national standard of psychosocial care. But focusing today was next to impossible.

I am signing off for tonight, but to my blog reader who left a very thoughtful posting to me on last night's blog.... A BIG THANK YOU! You gave me the energy to put two words together tonight! Thanks for reading and coming to the Walk on Sunday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms.Brown
I am a student at Holton and love penny wars the jars are so full already. Going to the run on Sun cause of you.