Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 30, 2013

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2008. Mattie was dressed up for Grandparent's Day at his school. Mattie actually did not mind getting dressed up, which made the whole process very easy for me. However, I never went shopping for a little boy's jacket, shirt, and tie before that year, so I had quite a learning curve. But I rose to the occasion, as I did so many other times as Mattie's mom.









Quote of the day: You will lose someone you can’t live without, and your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly—that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp. ~ Anne Lamott


It was another stellar weather day in Washington, DC. Filled with rain, greyness, and lightning. My favorite combinations! This horrible weather affects my mood and on the weekend I do not need any help in this department. When I woke up this morning, I found that Peter already bought paint for the bathroom in our master bedroom. I am sure Peter figured starting small would help to motivate me to do other things. All I know is painting a bathroom is a killer. Maybe because there are many areas that require hand brushing and attention to detail, rather than just painting a large living room wall. Nonetheless, we were at it all day today. We transformed a white washed bathroom into a sky blue haven. The color is very inviting. However, I can get easily overwhelmed and as I told Peter, before we can proceed painting anything else, we really need to address Mattie's room and our bedroom. Unlike how we lived when Mattie was battling cancer and then almost two years after his death, our living space is now organized. Yet things still need to be purged from filing cabinets to toys and books in Mattie's room. Seeing the big picture is daunting and can easily turn me off from wanting to address the entire project and paint. But I will attempt to take it one room at a time. 

Later this afternoon, I went to visit my friend Mary who lives in an assisted living facility. Earlier in the day I boiled potatoes and turned them into whipped potatoes. Mary LOVES potatoes, so I figured she most likely would love them whipped. They are easier to chew and swallow, even compared to a mashed potato. Mary devoured a Tupperware full of potatoes and with her eyes wide open began to stare at me. I figured she was trying to tell me something. So I asked her what was with her "big eyes!" Her response was that she was thinking of me. When I inquired further, she wanted me to know that she feels I am a special friend and knows I take good care of her. For someone who is basically mute, this was an impressive couple of statements she delivered. Mary is the perfect illustration of my care philosophy. A person maybe unable to communicate at times and may seem out of it, but things are getting absorbed on another level. Which is why I believe it is important to always talk to Mary, read to her about current events, and update her on her family's whereabouts.   

No comments: