Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 27, 2013

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thursday, June 27, 2013


Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2003. I personally think this was a classic Mattie moment that I captured. As you can see, Peter was lying down next to Mattie. Still playing with him and engaging him, but trying to muster more energy and recharge. Mattie was literally like the Energizer Bunny. He was ALWAYS ON!!! He rarely napped and sleeping at night wasn't consistent. Mattie could be awake, play, and engage you 24 hours a day, if you lasted that long.





Quote of the day: It scares me how hard it is to remember life before you. I can't even make the comparisons anymore, because my memories of that time have all the depth of a photograph. It seems foolish to play games of better and worse. It's simply a matter of is and is no longer. ~  David Levithan


I ventured back and forth from Washington, DC, to Alexandria, VA, at least three times today. My biggest joke is that I feel the car goes to Alexandria on auto-pilot. I started this back and forth journey when Mattie entered preschool and now eight years later, I am still at it! I went to zumba class today and my friend Heidi surprised me with a gift of tea. There is something lovely about unexpected gifts. An unexpected gift to me is special, it is given just because. There is no event to trigger it, no obligation, just a friendly reminder that your presence means something to someone else.

After class I headed back to DC to pick Peter up at work. I then drove both of us back to Alexandria to have lunch with one of our newest Foundation supporters, the owner of Rock of Ages Music. Our friend Tina introduced us to JP in the spring. JP coordinated several of his student bands to perform at this year's Walk. This new addition to our Walk was well received, so Peter and I wanted to follow up with JP, get his feedback about the event, and find ways for us to continue to work together. I personally find every interaction I have with JP very inspiring, he has so much energy, enthusiasm, and creativity of ideas! JP did not know Mattie and he is beginning to understand what our Foundation does, yet he is very sensitive about not diluting the purpose of our Walks! This statement came from him, not from me, and after hearing it, I told JP that his comments were very sensitive and insightful. It is a very special feeling to be in the presence of someone who has a vision and the vision includes you!

I then drove Peter back to work, just to turn around for the third time and drive back to Alexandria from DC. This time I headed to see my friend Mary who lives in an assisted living facility. Mary was getting her hair done today and traditionally on these days I become part of the process. I met Mary's new hairdresser once before. Eight weeks ago to be exact. We started talking and I got to know about her life. So today when we met, we picked up right where we left off. One of the skills I happen to have is a great memory. I have a mind like a steel trap and it is like I have a mental file of people in my head. If you tell me a story, I usually remember it and can retrieve this information months later. Any case, Mary's hairdresser was happy to see me and thanked me for coming today. In fact, she ran to her car to share with us a loaf of cinnamon bread she baked this morning. Mary, like me, enjoys to eat. So this bread with a special treat for both of us. I then stayed and helped Mary with her dinner and got her ready for bed. With that in her mute state, Mary blurred out.... "you are too good to me." My response to Mary always is.... "you were a caregiver all your life, caring for so many people, so now it is your turn to get cared for." That always gets a Mary smile!
 

No comments: