Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 26, 2013

Monday, August 26, 2013

Monday, August 26, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2007. That weekend we took Mattie for a walk on Roosevelt Island. The Island was literally Mattie's second backyard. All sorts of exploration is possible on Roosevelt Island along with having access to all the sights and sounds of mother nature. There is a part on the Island which is nicknamed, "the beach." Mattie was standing on the beach in this photo, with Georgetown University (where the hospital is located) in the background. We journeyed out to the beach often. At the beach location, there was sand to walk on and the water by the sand was very shallow. Dogs also loved frolicking on the beach and Mattie enjoyed watching dogs playing fetch with their owners. Also notice the green thing in Mattie's hands. Right by the "beach" there is a crinkly hedge apple tree, and Mattie loved collecting their fruit! 


Quote of the day: In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~ John Muir



While we were away I received an email from the wonderful company that manufactures our t-shirts for each Foundation Walk. Steve wanted me to know that the national association of which he is a part of is asking for stories from clients that highlight how fundraising and using t-shirt products help to raise money for a worthy cause. I was finally able to sit down today and concentrate on writing such an article. Actually this article was an excellent exercise for me. Because the foundation celebrated its fourth annual Walk this May. It amazes me but in four years time we have raised over $100,000 for childhood cancer. Money which directly goes to helping children and their families. In addition to writing the article, I also put this t-shirt composition together which highlights the t-shirts and themes of each of our Walks for the last three years.

This afternoon, Peter came home from work and we went for a walk on Roosevelt Island together. We haven't visited the Island in months. During the summer months, the Island can get packed with visitors and we really do not like experiencing the Island this way. As we were walking over the bridge today, there were paddle boarders everywhere. These folks fascinate me because this looks so peaceful to do, but probably not unlike kayaking, this too is hard work!

To me this looks like a post card. This is the serenity of Roosevelt Island!













This is today's view of "the beach." The same location in which I snapped a photo of Mattie in 2007.












I honestly wouldn't have guessed what on earth this was, but Peter immediately told me it was a beehive. Something I can appreciate from afar!










I am sure most people do not take photos of tent moth cocoons. But I guess I do! Mattie LOVED, I mean LOVED tent moths. When it was tent moth season in the spring, he would collect these caterpillars in Alexandria, VA (in a cup!)and bring them home with him. Living in DC, we never saw these caterpillars near us. In fact, when Mattie brought these creepy things home, I had to figure out how to contain them and we also had to figure out what they liked to eat! I had a lot to learn that first year! Quickly we learned that these caterpillars HATE maple trees, they only eat oak. We do not have many oak trees around us, but Mattie and I learned where the closest oak to our home was and we would stock up on leaves for his caterpillars to munch over time! Each spring we had metamorphosis occurring right in our living room. Mattie loved the excitement of watching these caterpillars create their own cocoons and then within five days break out of them as moths! I can't tell you how many moth releasing ceremonies we had on our deck!!!

As Peter said, "today must have been butterfly day at Roosevelt Island." I can't tell you how many flew into us and around us!!! Maybe 15 or more at various times. It was like getting our own personal Mattie greeting, and I am sure Mattie has been wondering why on earth we haven't visited the Island sooner! What a welcome back we got!



This is a typical photo Peter takes when visiting Roosevelt Island. He likes to capture how the seasons transform this particular view. So in Peter's honor I snapped this photo today. It is wonderful to see the Island so green and lush, and I only wish we had this weather year round in DC. The sun and heat motivates me, it doesn't take our grief away, but it adds a certain dimension into our world. I can feel the difference within me when the sun is out!
 

 

No comments: