Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 6, 2013

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken on Halloween of 2008. Mattie celebrated Halloween both at the Hospital as well as with his closest preschool buddy. This photo captures both Mattie and Brandon together. As my faithful readers know, Brandon was battling cancer at the same time as Mattie. Though there was quite an age difference between them, they were good for each other and Mattie considered Brandon his "best friend." They were a cute pair together and we will always be grateful to Brandon for being such a loyal and caring friend to Mattie.




Quote of the day: Sometimes I think that the one thing I love most about being an adult is the right to buy candy whenever and wherever I want. ~ Ryan Gosling


Tonight's quote makes me laugh! There is something quite special and magnificent about candy. Of course I am sure there are a host of adults out there who may not agree with me! Certainly I recognize that candy is filled with sugar and calories but I also know that nothing can get you through the most challenging and difficult of times like candy. Did I love sugar prior to Mattie developing cancer? The answer would be YES! But when Mattie was battling cancer, sugar and chocolate became staples. When people from Team Mattie would visit us in the Hospital, they always brought me something sweet. It was a gift of kindness, thoughtfulness, and caring. Candy and sugar became symbols of compassion in my mind. Without these gifts, I most likely wouldn't have had access to candy and sweets. Mainly because I never LEFT the pediatric floor and I was usually with Mattie. Back then the hospital had NO snack cart, so getting such a treat wasn't even an option.

After Mattie died, I joined a parent advisory board at the Hospital. At a board meeting the notion of a snack cart was proposed. Mattie Miracle decided to help take on this project. The project was meaningful to me for two reasons. First it enabled families caring for sick children to have access to snacks. I can assure you when given the option under stress, most parents aren't turning to granola bars. They are turning to chocolate. The other reason funding the cart interested me was it was a chance to keep the tradition going of sharing "compassion and kindness," that was shown to me, with other families.

Needless to say the snack cart is a hit at Georgetown University Hospital. Recently one mom told me that she couldn't have survived without this cart. It really made her day when it revolved around the floor. Needless to say as tons of candy comes before me this week and next week, I remind myself as to why the Foundation is doing this. Certainly we couldn't do it without the generosity of so many people in our community, our supporters, and local moms groups and businesses! We thank you!


Today I started the candy sorting process! Keep in mind that my friends Heidi and Leslie have a similar set up going on in their homes. Which is a scary notion because I have no idea what this year's grand total will be! My friend Heidi sent me a text message today saying that she feels like we are in an episode of I Love Lucy, the one in which Lucy and Ethel are in a candy factory and they can't process all the candy coming down the conveyor belt fast enough. So in true Lucy and Ethel style they land up eating the candy (which we aren't doing)!!! Nonetheless the visualization of this got me laughing!

No comments: