Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 3, 2013

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 -- Mattie died 220 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2006. It was our last day visiting Florida and I distinctly remember wanting to take Mattie to Flamingo Gardens before departing on our flight. Mattie and I loved Flamingo Gardens and Butterfly World. To me these two wonderful nature sanctuaries are must sees in Florida. I know my parents and Peter probably thought this wasn't the best plan for our last day since we would be rushed during the park visit in order to catch our flights. But I was insistent that we experience the park and I did not settle for the notion that we could ALWAYS come back during another visit. I am not sure why I was so determined, but now looking back on this photo and several others from that visit, I am happy we squeezed this into our trip. I learned through Mattie's illness that you may never get a second chance to do what you should have done in the first place.


Quote of the day: This is what you do. You make a future for yourself out of the raw material at hand. ~ Michael Cunningham


I sometimes wonder if we all look at the world through the lens of our own profession?!! Do accountants see the world in numbers, writers in words, and builders in bricks and concrete? I ask this because despite not wanting to, I see the world through emotions, feelings, and people's problems. In fact, problems have a way of making there way to my phone, email, and doorstep.

When I read tonight's quote it seemed to call attention to the kind of day I have had. Each person I interacted with today shared with me private and quite personal information about their lives, crises, and how these issues continue to plaque them into the future. I heard everything today from coping with illnesses, car accidents, the emotional and physical abuse of a spouse, and honestly the list just kept on growing. Keep in mind the people I was interacting with are NOT my clients. These are people I happened to interact with today. My intention was not to sit and chat per se, but many of my conversations lasted at least two hours or so in length. I am sure for many people, this kind of chatting and listening to other people's issues and problems could be perceived as depressing or wearing. I on the other hand do not find it that way at all. I get a great deal of personal satisfaction with connecting with people on a deeper level.  

I also find I become energized when I can connect with people on this deeper level. But in addition to energized, I learn a lot more about myself through these interactions. You can learn a great deal about life, how to survive life, and the challenges others face daily just by listening. As Cunningham's quote points out tonight, we are all tasked with making a future for ourselves given the RAW material we possess. I find that it isn't the RAW material per se that holds us back from having a future, it is our ability to accept our own RAW material. Face it, take responsibility for it, and somehow not allow it to hold us hostage. I am guilty of everything I am preaching about, but I am very self aware of how Mattie's death has impacted my life's trajectory.

Needless to say, hearing about other people's lives today is always a privilege for me. As one woman told me today, it is my aura. She says it is inviting and trusting and it is therefore easy to confide in me. Perhaps, but when I hear what others are contending with, it only further illustrates to me the unbelievable strength and resilience of the human spirit.

No comments: