Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 14, 2014

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tuesday, January 14, 2013 -- Mattie died 226 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2004. Mattie was almost two years old. I snapped this photo because Mattie's behavior intrigued me. Mattie was the ultimate multitasker and never watched TV by sitting on the couch or sitting still for that matter. I limited Mattie's TV viewing to certain DVDs and what I would call either educational or wholesome shows. Only certain things grabbed Mattie's attention such as Baby Einstein videos and Elmo on Sesame Street. Everything else Mattie was pretty oblivious to. Meaning that he would be processing what he was hearing, but his hands and body were busy building and designing something in the background. Why this photo is so unique to me is because it illustrated that something on the TV screen captured Mattie's attention so much so that he stopped what he was doing to walk up to the screen and to check it out in more detail. 

Quote of the day: When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves. ~ Viktor Frankl

Frankl maybe by far one of my all time favorite psychotherapists. I admire what he had to overcome, as a survivor of the Holocaust, and how he used his experiences to pioneer his own form of therapy. Techniques which are still used today. When I read Frankl's words, I find great meaning in them, so much so that I think any one of us can apply his quote to our own situation. We all are faced with things in life in which we find we have absolutely no control. 

As human beings feeling out of control, unable to navigate one's life and destiny, is beyond problematic. It seems like we all navigate by this unspoken golden rule which is if we do all the right things and work hard, only good results will be the outcome. Unfortunately through Mattie's diagnosis and most definitely his death, I have experienced the reality, a reality which still remains quite daunting in my mind. The reality is that osteosarcoma was out of my control, modern medicine isn't so modern, and our society does not always understand and appreciate the grief of a parent for the death of a child. These are all facts, facts that I can not necessarily change. Which is why Frankl is correct to some extent that surviving means adapting and changing from within.  

But change, as we all know, is difficult. Today I was invited to a birthday luncheon for a friend. When I looked at those in the email who were included at the luncheon, I realized I would be the ODD one out. Because all the women on the invitation list were part of a mom's group. Certainly women can talk about other things than their children, but an intact mom's group naturally talks about this subject matter. At one time I most likely would have gone to this luncheon, but I have learned over time that such venues don't always work well for me, and I also make some moms nervous. After all, they don't know what they can discuss around me. So the question is how does a person like myself who lost an only child integrate back into society? A society in which most of her friends have children. That was the one commonality I shared with several of my friends. Now what? I can't change my situation and I can't change how people will behave around me. So the only answer is to change myself. Which means either I can go to the luncheon and have different expectations and prepare myself, or not go at all. 

Tonight while I was working at my desk in Mattie's room, I looked out the window. It is a wonderful thing to have a bird's eye view! Any case, this is the sight I saw, a regal and full Mattie Moon! As today marks yet another Tuesday, the day Mattie died, I stare and wonder what message is being sent down to me from Mattie Moon.  

No comments: