Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 23, 2014

Friday, May 23, 2014

Friday, May 23, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken on April 30, 2006. Check out that big smile on Mattie's face!!! Mattie was thrilled because that day he went with Peter and they picked out a bicycle together. Our outdoor commons area was the perfect space to learn to ride a bicycle, to use side walk chalk, to fly a kite, and to also ride "Speedy Red." Speedy was Mattie's ride-on car that he got when he was battling cancer. Mattie took to driving like a duck to water. Even attached to an oxygen tank, he would zip around the pavement in his car!


Quote of the day: Highly sensitive people are too often perceived as weaklings or damaged goods. To feel intensely is not a symptom of weakness, it is the trademark of the truly alive and compassionate. It is not the empath who is broken, it is society that has become dysfunctional and emotionally disabled. There is no shame in expressing your authentic feelings. Those who are at times described as being a 'hot mess' or having 'too many issues' are the very fabric of what keeps the dream alive for a more caring, humane world. Never be ashamed to let your tears shine a light in this world. ~ Anthon St. Maarten


Tonight's quote resonates with me wholeheartedly! Maybe because it is a philosophy I live by. I am sure to some I would be classified as "highly sensitive" and therefore perceived as "weak." However, if you truly know me, or know anyone who is highly sensitive, then you know WE ARE NOT WEAK! On the contrary, we take in a lot of information, a great deal of feelings, and as a result we most likely can balance more than most people. What I have found out about myself after Mattie's battle with cancer and death is that I prefer to connect with others who are also highly sensitive! It is far more stimulating to know what someone is thinking and feeling, than to go through meaningless tasks and chores. We live in such a fast paced world where people are losing the art of conversation, the joy of being authentic and sharing feelings, and having the courage to trust and connect with one another. It is a shame, because it is only within such meaningful connections that true bonds are formed. 

I went to see my neurologist today. We bantered back and forth about my daily headaches and my migraines. He is perplexed how I function through a migraine when the rest of the world takes to bed or a dark room! I laughed! I laughed because I said to him... "you do what you have to do!" When Mattie had cancer, there was NO WAY I could have relaxed and rested in his PICU room if I wasn't feeling well. Forget it, that wasn't even an option. I have found that I have conditioned my body to push through the pain, and after a while, my body is just used to it. But I know I am not that unusual, and there are others who deal with greater amounts of daily pain. I am happy though that I meet with this doctor now every two months and he updates me on the research and how to help rare cases like people such as myself. But it is helpful to know that taking over the counter medications like Tylenol just won't help me. The research shows this and I clinically can say this is correct! 

As promised, here are more photos from the Mattie Miracle 5th Anniversary Walk! Tonight's photos feature our four adult zany relay teams! Congratulations to our four successful teams who generated in total $6426 for Mattie Miracle!

This is an overview of our four teams! Peter was the MC of the races and we had eight judges. Two for each team! We thank our GREAT judges:

Heidi and Isabel Anderson
Leslie and Mike Greenberg
Dave Holm
Larry Jenney
Emily Owens
Brian Will

Peter and I developed ALL the races that were selected and performed at the Walk. We picked races that were ZANY and fun. Not ones that required sprinting, distance running, and agility! One of the races was called the "Newspaper Train." As you can see Team Foxy Voxy got into the spirit of this one and WON it!


Team Chris was captured here doing the race entitled, "Hooping it up." The goal here was to pass a hula hoop around a circle of 10. However each person in the circle had to step through the hoop without letting go of team members' hands! 





Team Healthy Mothers/Health Babies was captured in the middle of performing the "Shoe Box Race." Mind you we added to this race. Not only was each person sliding in a shoe box, but each racer was also holding a tray that had a cup of water on it. The goal was not to spill the water! 





RCC Moms are champs at the three legged Race!!!! I know Jane and Catherine well, since Mattie went to preschool with their daughters!


















Team Chris --  won a Trophy for the #1 Fundraising Team (contributed $2070 to Mattie Miracle)


Foxy Voxy -- won the Go Team Award For Outstanding Team Work and Creativity 











Healthy Mothers/Health Babies Coalition -- won the Super Star Award For Audience Participation, Support, and Cheers









RCC Moms -- won the #1 Medal for winning the Most Relay Races



No comments: