Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 14, 2014

Tuesday, May 14, 2014

Tuesday, May 14, 2014 -- Mattie died 244 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2009. What was being captured here was the tissue paper flowers and vase that Mattie presented to me for Mother's day. The wonderful part about all of this was Mattie made the vase in clinic (using a pottery wheel) and he made the tissue paper flowers with his art therapists. Mattie was very excited to present me with the final product, which was why the staff got my camera and captured this for me. Which I am glad they did!!! The irony is this vase with its flowers remains in my living room even today. The boy is gone, but his gifts and art remain. 


Quote of the day: Find something that you are passionate about in making a difference and you’ll find a waiting kinship of people willing to unite for the cause. Wes Adamson

It is now after midnight! During Foundation Walk season, it is safe to say that I put in 15 hour days. That is not an exaggeration. The administrative aspects of the Walk alone are overwhelming, not to mention the actual planning, logistics, communications, and so forth. This morning I decided to migrate away from my computer for a bit and went to zumba class. But I couldn't stay for the whole class. I stayed for half of the class because I had a conference call to join. Typically I wouldn't schedule things concurrently, but this call was with the State of Ohio Department of Health. Peter and I have been invited back to Columbus to present at the Health Department's Forum in June. Each State in our Country has its own State Plan and in this case a comprehensive cancer plan to regulate the treatment and care of cancer. The State of Ohio is opening up its Plan to include psychosocial care language, which is frankly a huge initiative (because I am not sure any other State has such language!) and we are honored to be given a voice at their forum. Apparently they feel that our voice and our vision will help to kick off their meeting given what the Foundation has been able to achieve. I know what the Foundation does is special because I live it each day, but to hear it from someone else, in another STATE, I have to pause and take notice. 

A lot is on my plate right now, and we also received an email about potentially writing a book chapter for another book! Needless to say, I did not open that email yet today. I will save that for tomorrow. But I know this is a legitimate request because it is from a psychiatrist who is part of psychosocial standards team! So I view these as all positive steps for Mattie Miracle, which is why I keep pulling the 15 hour days to raise the money necessary to be able to accomplish the things that we do!

No comments: