Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 6, 2014

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 -- Mattie died 243 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken on May 11 of 2009 during the Mattie March. I have been posting pictures the past couple of days from the first Mattie March. Perhaps because it gives me the strength and motivation to plan this upcoming fifth anniversary Walk on May 18th, which is taking every ounce of energy I have. The Walk alone is a labor of love, but given how busy the Foundation has been this year, balancing the Walk and everything else is near impossible. What I love about this photo, is who was standing right next to Mattie. Next to Mattie was Zachary. Mattie met Zachary in preschool. As I always say, it was friendship at first sight! They bonded on day one and became inseparable. That continued throughout elementary school, even though they went to different schools, and despite Mattie having cancer, Zachary found a way to accommodate and meet Mattie's needs. Which truly was remarkable because Mattie and Zachary had a very ACTIVE friendship. But with bone cancer, their physical relationship changed. That did not deter Zachary, because in the end it was the bond that was important and therefore he was motivated to find a way for them to connect, and they did. A very special message Zachary illustrated to all of us adults!


Quote of the day: You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.  John Bunyan


In the midst of working hard at planning the Foundation Walk, I have been working the past couple of days with our complex's painter, Derrick. I met Derrick last year. Funny story, naturally! Do I have any other kind?! I always have a story!!! Peter received a Red Sox bird house as a gift years ago, it was made out of metal but really became corroded over the years and looked like a mess. Last summer, I noticed after I got back from one of our trips, that the bird house disappeared. In all the years I have lived in our complex, no one ever took a thing from our deck, and as you can see we have a lot on it!!! So I thought it was odd.... who would want a rusted out bird house????! Months later, I came home one day and greeting me on the deck was the bird house, transformed. It had been totally restored and painted. I put two and two together and figured it had to be the complex's painter. I did not know Derrick's name at the time, but I learned quickly. So he is so creative and goodhearted. 

This spring, Peter and I are balancing so many things, painting our deck was just not in the cards. Somehow Derrick understood that, or perhaps our dear friend, Maria in the complex, told Derrick. Either case, Derrick came to talk with me a month ago. He told me he would paint the deck for me and the complex would cover the cost of it! All music to my ears. Any case, Derrick has a wonderfully friendly, happy, and cheerful demeanor. He loves creating, painting, and making things look more beautiful. 


I really should have taken a before photo, but it looked so hateful, I couldn't tolerate photographing it! In fact, Derrick tells me that the wood comprising my deck is DONE! That painting it is just like putting make up on, meaning this cosmetic transformation won't last long. Not sure what we will do long term, but for now, I am happy to see things looking cleaner. Any case, this is what I see from Mattie's window by my desk. While Derrick works, I open the window and we chat! He has been great company for me these past two days, while I have been glued to the computer.

This morning, I left my window perch and headed to ABC Imaging. I happen to know the owner of the company. How? Well Luda and I used to be chapel buddies. Her son and Mattie went to the same elementary school. Every Tuesday we attended chapel together at the school and literally we sat next to each other. Most parents did not attend every week, but we did. We were both moms of only children, and we related to each other, and wanted to be involved as much as possible in everything our sons did. When Mattie died, Luda wanted to help us! It was at that point, I found out that she and her husband run a successful international printing company. I had no idea about their company while I was sitting next to her in chapel for a year. We talked about so many other things as moms! Each Foundation Walk, Luda develops posters, banners, and other printed materials for us for FREE. This year's request was huge. I gave her a request for 29 posters and her posters are NOT flimsy, they are high quality laminated materials on foam core. She has supported us for five years and each time I reach out to her, she never asks what for or how much..... it is more like absolutely, how and when do you need it by!???? 

As as tonight's quote points out, it is people like Luda and Derrick that I can't really repay, but it is their acts of kindness that restore my faith in humanity and make me feel that my presence in the world matters or what I am doing is important, and they want to help me so I can continue doing it. So I THANK THEM greatly!

No comments: