Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 28, 2014

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2007. It is hard to believe in a way that our deck used to look like this at one time. Filled to capacity with Mattie's things like a sandbox, a kiddie pool, toys, and you name it! I always thought it was a riot how a small child's things had a way of taking over an entire space! Mattie loved being outdoors at all times of year. He never liked being confined and therefore I learned to like being outdoors too. I can't say that I loved it as much prior to having Mattie! But now that Mattie is gone from my life, I still love being outside and like him I prefer more open spaces, less congestion, fewer people around me, and less NOISE. Usually the child becomes like the parent, in this case the parent has become like the child. 


Quote of the day: Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, and small minds discuss people. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt


There are many quotes by Eleanor Roosevelt that I absolutely LOVE, this is NOT one of them! I frankly am always perplexed by this quote. Small minds discuss people?! What on earth does that mean?!!! If I had to put two and two together, and knowing she had her feelings of inferiority about herself at times, I would imagine she was referring to people gossiping about others! This is how I translate..... "discussing people!" But moving passed this simple minded view of discussing people, I actually find her quote VERY offensive. It is offensive to anyone I believe who is interested in any sort of helping profession. Particularly the mental health profession. What we do for a living is DISCUSS people. We observe, analyze, evaluate, and occasionally consult and/or discuss people! 

Even in my daily life, what gives me the most pleasure is observing people and discussing what I am seeing. In fact, those trained in working with people or are skilled at observing others really do capture more data than the average person. This capturing of data involves thoughts and feelings. So I do not see anything small minded in this at all. In fact, quite the opposite. These are skills, just as important as understanding ideas, principles, and theories. Such skills can help resolve all sorts of emotional issues. After all ideas and events won't help a person who is feeling sad, depressed, angry, overwhelmed, or anxious. But guess what? Discussing will, discussing people will, and it that is the work of the small minded in Eleanor's book, well then I guess that is where I lie. 

With that said, me and my small mind, have been working all day on Foundation items and this evening we are getting together with friends for dinner. Thankfully we have plans which will force me to stop working and to get away from my usual routine. 

No comments: