Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 8, 2014

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2003, during Mattie's first trip to the Outer Banks. We took Mattie to North Carolina with Peter's parents who were standing right next to me by this wading pool. That day we ventured to the North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island. We all had our hands in the pool to touch one of the sting rays. As you can see Mattie was sharing some commentary with me about this experience.



Quote of the day: When you reach out to those in need, do not be surprised if the essential meaning of something occurs.Stephen Richards



Last evening Peter and I went for a walk on the beach. This was a photo of the sun setting across the dunes! 










One of my favorite parts about being by the beach is the morning hours! Which is quite ironic since I am not a morning person. But there is something special about the morning by the water. This morning we literally saw fish jumping right out of the water and my all time favorite sighting are....... DOLPHINS!


Mind you I did not have to leave my balcony to see this precious sighting! I could see the dolphins right from our chairs! 








Dolphins were everywhere! At one point it was like watching a dolphin show. They were doing jumps, flips, and twirls in the air! To me sitting on the balcony and having breakfast to this sight is probably the highlight of my day! In fact you could leave me on the balcony and I would be happy. I am that exhausted!



We ventured to the Northern part of the Island to see Duck and Corolla today. We haven't seen these areas in almost a decade. Duck is where we used to stay years ago! However, even back then we were growing concerned with the area's development trends and feared that by the time we came back to vacation here, we wouldn't recognize the region. So a part of us was a bit leery to return to the Outer Banks again. Thankfully today was a pleasant surprise, we found not a lot had changed! Though I realize we are hitting the area a bit off peak before schools are out and the mass exodus of summer tourists flock into the houses and rentals! Which makes it delightfully pleasant and NOT congested with people and traffic! One thing is consistent.... people are SO friendly and I simply love the trusting nature of the people on the beach with us. I am referring to the tourists. It is as if on vacation, they lose their minds. They leave their car keys and cell phones on benches for the world to have access to and walk away with. The hysterical notion around here is NO one seems to touch anyone else's property. I personally get a kick out of this because in DC, these keys and phones would be gone in a matter of seconds! 

We went to see Currituck Beach Lighthouse today. It is situated in Corolla on a very serene piece of property. It is the only lighthouse on the barrier island that is NOT painted. It has 220 steps and you can still climb and tour inside this lighthouse today. Peter and I did not climb up today but we have done this many times in the past. Even with Mattie in tow. I will be sharing photos on the blog this week with Mattie on Peter's back as they climbed their way up Currituck Lighthouse. 

I love lighthouses and therefore seeing them and learning about their history are very special to me! A love I tried to share with Mattie early on. 




The beauty of Currituck Beach Lighthouse. Also on this property is a Victorian style lighthouse keepers' home which was built in 1876. It provided housing for the principal keeper's family and two assistants' families. 














We then ventured around Corolla and walked around and went into the shops and boutiques. I happened to like this dolphin bench and wanted to take a photo of Peter with the bench. When this young fellow saw me taking a photo of Peter, he insisted that I get in the photo too. The beach brings out the kindness and pleasantness in people!









Unlike city shopping, here shop keepers want to you talk with you. In one shop the woman learned that we haven't visited the Outer Banks in ten years. That we used to vacation here with Mattie but then he died from cancer. Now after all these years, we have returned to the region. Mind you I did not start with this dialogue. Nor did I have the intention of sharing that at all. Rather, we started talking about her shop. About the fact that she is a public school teacher who has to work three jobs because they do not pay her adequately enough. We then moved onto the fact that she has three children and is a single mom. One thing lead to another and the conversation moved to hardships and so forth. When I told her about our situation she felt awful and then felt I helped her put her situation into perspective. Again, that wasn't my intention. Needless to say, we had a delightful conversation, I bought some lovely pieces of jewelry in her store (which I had done in previous years too) and to my surprise, she also gave me a gift. She wanted me to know that she felt deeply for our loss and included something in my bag for me. When I got back to our condo, we looked inside and it was a beautiful heart shaped hand blown piece of glass. Again, the lovely people we meet along the coast line of North Carolina. It seems to be a trend!

The coast line of North Carolina can be rocky though and I do not like walking along it without some sort of beach shoe. But I do not like spending a lot of money on beach shoes. One of my hang ups. So Peter took me to the Super Wings store today to manage my shoe demands. Not unlike a kid, after I got my shoes, I popped up on the big Red Chair outside the store. I know if Mattie were with me, he would have been right along side me! We both gravitated to these big chairs! In fact, I remember taking a photo of Mattie in a big chair like this right near us in Washington, DC. 








This evening we walked along the beach, passed people, dogs, birds, and collected shells! 












With my camera in hand, I caught what I term a "Peli Fly Over!" They just fly in packs right over your head!!! Pelicans are a plenty in North Carolina. I have been enjoying them all day, flying and dive bombing into the ocean. 






Of course no day would be complete without a Mattie Moon photo!


No comments: