Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 2, 2014

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Wednesday, July 2, 2014


Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2005. This was one of our first kiddie pools on our deck. Mattie got this pool from Peter's parents. It even had a name...."Billy Beluga the Whale" and I remember it as if it were yesterday. This pool was actually up in Boston, but Mattie loved it so much while visiting there, that we packed it up and relocated it down to Washington, DC. Mattie spent most of the summer in this pool and I am not sure what he loved more getting wet or soaking his cars, trucks, and toys in the water. Mattie always had a plan and the plan was always active!

Quote of the day: Loss is like a closed road that forces us to turn around and find another way to our destination. Who knows what we will discover and see along the way. ~ Gerald Sittser


Peter landed safely this evening from Ohio. Though he tells me his flight was harrowing! His approach to DC was a roller coaster ride and the flight attendant apparently went flying two feet in the air. I am thankful I was not on that flight. Even Peter was scared because he wasn't sure what was going to come next!

Tonight's quote, says it all! Sometimes loss does indeed feel like a CLOSED road. A road that goes nowhere in a way, but instead has constant loops. Just when you think you found the way out, you unfortunately land up right back down a familiar pathway. However, just like a familiar road, going down it doesn't seem quite as daunting or as novel each time you land up right back at square one. You get to know every aspect of that same road. Its nuances, twists, and turns. Yet it gets tiring to feel like you can't break free from the same cycle! HOW DO YOU GET OFF of this closed circuit? With a road, you can turn to a map or perhaps Google, with grief it isn't that simple. 

As I chat with my friend in grief who is years behind me in the grief curve, I now see grief through her eyes. She too lost an only child, and like me she is traveling on the closed road. When I was on my initial journey in year one and two, I only had Peter and I as a benchmark. Now I also have the lens of my friend! I see grief through her eyes and it gives me a whole new perspective. A perspective which allows me to understand that we are not alone in our CLOSED circuit journey. It is fascinating to see her reaction to grief, but in so many ways, it reminds me of my own. It is hard to describe, and yet as she describes her pain in year two, I get every aspect she is talking about. I would like to say I forgot about that pain, that it has been absorbed or stored some where in the recesses of my brain. But unfortunately year two remains permanently etched in my head. Because it was from year two, that a whole cascade of other negativity unfolded for me which I am still working through. 

No comments: