Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 8, 2014

Friday, August 8, 2014

Friday, August 8, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken on August 8 of 2009. By this point we knew that Mattie's condition was terminal. Because Mattie's cancer treatment was so intense and he never got to a point where his condition put him in a more stable physical place, he never had an opportunity to 
"make a wish" through the Make a Wish Foundation. This is a Foundation that grants special events, opportunities, and trips to children with a life threatening medical condition. So instead, my parents helped him with a wish in his limited condition. Mattie wanted a ride on car. Peter and I went out that day and bought the car, dragged it home, and I snapped this photo as Peter was unveiling it to Mattie! Mattie was thoroughly in love with "Speedy Red," the name Mattie gave his car. Mattie took to driving like a duck took to water. He just had a natural understanding for the mechanics of driving despite being so frail, with pain pumps and oxygen connected to him at all times. There was no keeping a good driver down!


Quote of the day: When you have really exhausted an experience you always reverence and love it. ~ Albert Camus

As I read Camus' quote tonight, I have to wonder. I know plenty of experiences that have exhausted me this summer, and I am NOT sure I love any of them! In fact, I spent seven hours at a licensure board meeting today and as I write this, I can attest to being wiped out. I came into the meeting already mentally frayed and exhausted from a summer of intense work. That is after a full year of intense Mattie Miracle work! My licensure board members today were concerned about my mental health, and if they are saying something to me, that makes me take note. Since they have never said anything to me before. But I am aware of the fact that writing book chapters is very challenging work on top of what I already balance for the Foundation. With that said, I am not writing much tonight on the blog, since I have already had quite a full day of reading, writing, and absorbing!

No comments: