Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 26, 2014

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2002. Mattie was seven months old. This was one of my favorite Fall photos of Mattie and me. I loved his "puppy" hat that he was wearing and the oak tree behind us has significance for us later in life. That tree supplied leaves for all the tent moth caterpillars Mattie brought home in the spring from his school playground. We would feed them and care for them long enough until they formed their cocoons, metamorphosed into moths, and released them on our deck! 


Quote of the day: Thanksgiving Day comes, by statute, once a year; to the honest man it comes as frequently as the heart of gratitude will allow. ~ Edward Sandford Martin


I snapped a photo of our beautiful Christmas Cactus that is in our living room! This plant clearly is slightly off and a bit confused since it is Thanksgiving and NOT Christmas. But nonetheless, it is an amazing sight! These plants can be temperamental! I had a Christmas Cactus in the past that bloomed once and then never bloomed again, and then died! This one seems to be hardy and a real producer. It comes back every year! 

As I mentioned in last night's blog I finally got around to filling our bird feeders! Just in time, since today it began to slightly snow and the temperature seemed cold and raw! What I worried about was the new location of the feeders! Our sparrows have been used to the feeders hanging on our deck! This year I moved them to our commons area! This morning, the birds were all a flutter! They were outside my office window making a racket. They wanted to be fed. I wasn't sure how exactly to communicate to them that I understood they were frustrated with me but that the feeders were there and FILLED. They were in 'line up mode' as I call it, on the wall staring at me. Perched and waiting for me to address their needs. Then all of a sudden one of them did a fly over and caught glimpse of the new bird feeder set up..... and that was it. This bird signaled the rest, and the feeding frenzy began. They come swooping down at the feeders in packs! We have three feeders hanging from hooks. But by the end of today, all three feeders are half full! They are very hungry creatures and we go through a great deal of bird seed every two weeks! 

I am quite sure I feed the same sparrows year to year. Some sparrows can live up to 15 years. I would almost bet that some of these sparrows I started to feed around the time Mattie was an infant. After all, I began this past time, around the time Mattie was born. I was spending a lot of time at home then and it gave us something to do in the winter months and a way for us to engage with nature. Mattie loved it and then we just continued it year after year. Because we have done this for SO long, the pack continues to grow bigger with each year. I enjoyed seeing them come back today, and it is the only part of winter I like. 

No comments: