Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 13, 2015

Friday, February 13, 2015

Friday, February 13, 2015


Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. Mattie was home in between hospital admissions and treatment. Mattie was working on creating a homemade volcano in the middle of our dining room floor. Mattie just loved it. Not only did he form and mold it but he got great joy in watching the volcano erupt. With Mattie so much play was about the process, not just about the final result. Of course the more of a mess it made, the greater the fun it seemed to him.





Quote of the day: A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others. ~ Frank Morgan


For those of you who may have looked at last night's blog and were unable to hear Mattie's voice in the attachment I posted, please feel free to go back to it. I corrected the problem! You can now hear his sweet voice. 

Since Mattie died, my friend Angie, has a tradition. She sends Peter and I a sweet treat every Valentine's day. Angie and I met at Boston College. We both got graduate degrees in biology together. Angie understands loss and grief all too well and when Mattie was battling cancer, Angie would send Mattie care packages and beautiful notes and thoughtful messages. Yet despite the fact that Mattie has been gone from our lives for five years, Angie still reaches out to Peter and I. Angie's latest Valentine's day treat are See's scotchmarshmallow hearts! I told Angie these are absolutely addictive. Technically I should be sharing them with Peter, but I love them so much that I have claimed the entire dozen for myself. Chocolate is my therapy and these are fabulous little packages of love! Did I always love chocolate? The answer is YES. But the need for chocolate arose in the hospital while caring for Mattie. Under great stress, it is interesting what the body craves. I assure you it isn't a granola bar or nutritious foods. When friends came to visit us in the hospital, many times I was given chocolate treats, which fed my addiction. To this day, chocolate symbolizes many things to me such as .... care, concern, and friendship. 

No comments: