Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 28, 2015

Saturday, March 28, 2015


Saturday, March 28, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2008. Mattie came home from school one afternoon and wanted to go outside and fly a kite. Fortunately our commons area was the perfect place to do this in the city. The beauty about this space is there are no cars and it is walled off from the street. But from a kite stand point, there is a wind tunnel as you head down the walkway of our space. This was where Mattie first learned to fly a kite. What I also notice though are the evergreen potted trees Mattie was passing while running by our neighbor's home. You can see them, the kite was practically hitting them. Well our neighbors got tired of those trees and were going to throw them out! Until we rescued them. These trees are in Mattie's memorial garden which is outside his bedroom window in our commons area. While I work on the computer and look out Mattie's windows, I can see these trees. These trees have grown significantly and the ironic thing is...... trees they thought were dying are actually really THRIVING! 


Quote of the day: Without habit, the beauty of the world would overwhelm us. We’d pass out every time we saw— actually saw— a flower. Imagine if we only got to see a cumulonimbus cloud or Cassiopeia or a snowfall once a century: there’d be pandemonium in the streets. People would lie by the thousands in the fields on their backs. ~ Anthony Doerr


It seems to me the only "habit" we have in DC is grey weather and cold temperatures! We are officially into spring and today felt like winter. Blustery, frigid, and grey. Absolutely depressing. I see some people getting the mulch out and perhaps attempting to plant. You got to be kidding me??? I wouldn't! It is frigid out and too changeable. I think a sunny and warm day here in DC may cause chaos and euphoria here. 

The joke in our home today was Peter was balancing two technology projects. One for his company as well as helping me with the Foundation's Walk website. Peter has been working around the clock on his own work, as his company has a big system launch on Monday, but while he was dealing with that today, he found a bug in the software I was using for the Walk website and called the company to report it! They were clueless about it!!! But Peter was correct and now they are fixing their system, which affects all their customers! Got to love it now??? I told Peter they should give us a discount for his work today.  

In addition to website work and working to redesign the whole new look and feel of the Foundation's Walk, I also am now fully focused on the Foundation's raffle. So needless to say I have my hands full on all levels. 

I end tonight's posting with a photo of "Mr. Lizard on the wall." My mom sent me this photo today. While we are freezing in DC, my parents are very warm in Los Angeles, so much so that you can see a lizard is basking outside in the garden. Mattie would have gotten a huge kick out of this. In fact, I have two plastic lizards on the dash board of my car that are Mattie's. Mattie loved anything creepy and crawling. After Mattie died, I found a green plastic lizard in my car and Peter found an orange one in his. So they are now united on my dash board. 

No comments: