Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 19, 2015

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. We were taking Mattie for a walk around the DC National Mall. Of course on any walk, Mattie always seemed to find a stick along the way to carry with him. In fact for the longest time, we had quite the stick collection in our commons area. Sticks that were brought back from every walk over the years and that were added to our garden collection. We had so many, it looked like we had a sculpture garden made out of wood in the making. 


Quote of the day: Being passionate about something is the most beautiful characteristic you can develop. ~ Charlotte Eriksson

I would say that Peter and I are quite passionate about the importance of psychosocial care for children with cancer and their families, yet it can be discouraging at times because despite how much sense this makes to us and how much evidence is being accumulated about the importance of this care, it is not always the MOST popular position to take within the cancer community. Advocacy groups are comprised of individuals with their own focus, lens, and mind set of what constitutes a priority. Yet it some times catches me off guard when I find that those who have experienced childhood cancer first hand, just like us, do not consider psychosocial care a priority and do not view it as a crucial part of the treatment process. It can be very challenging at times to work each day and to be advocating for a position that is not understood and valued by the majority. Some days I put it into context and it motivates me further and some days it just makes me upset and causes me to wonder if I am doing all of this for naught. After all it is hard to change a system and mind set that just doesn't want to be changed. But then I think of the reason we are doing this.... Mattie! What he suffered can never be forgotten and this forces me to press on. Mattie's issues were FAR more than medical and even if we can't change a system over night, the system is still going to hear from us. 

This evening while working on my computer, I happened to be looking out the window and saw our resident Jack Russell Terrier, JJ. Mattie grew up with JJ, and they were very close with each other. In fact, I would say that when Mattie died, JJ got very depressed and wouldn't eat. He even slept with Mattie's sandals for the longest time. Any case, JJ came onto my deck to visit with me and he perked up the day!

No comments: