Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 5, 2015

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2005. Mattie was three years old. Nothing is wrong with your eyes. The photo is blurry! That is because Mattie was moving around in my arms and therefore both of us were moving about and the camera did not know what to focus on. Sometimes taking photos with Mattie was a challenge. He did not want to pose, nor did he want to stop for a minute to capture the moment. Which was why we posed together! Every April we had the tradition of going to the National Arboretum to see the Azaleas bloom. It always happened around the same time as Mattie's birthday and my joke with Mattie was that the flowers came out as a birthday gift to him. He always liked that notion!


Quote of the day: Advice is like snow - the softer it falls, the longer it dwells upon, and the deeper in sinks into the mind. ~ Samuel Taylor Coleridge


Today Washington, DC was hit with another snow storm, Thor, to be exact. Got to love the fact that storms now have names! I remember Pandora, which happened a week or so ago, but I have no idea what happened to Q, R, or S. Nonetheless we are now up to a storm that starts with the letter "T!" In any case, last we checked we were up to 5 inches of snow and counting. Which for DC is a lot of snow! The whole city was shut down today. Peter went to work however, but that is because he can walk to work! I spent the day working as well and thankfully had LOTS of birds for entertainment. Early in the morning, we were visited by our resident Falcon. I did not capture him in a photo, but you can see many happy sparrows. I am happy to report that our new feeder location this year seems to make it harder for these birds of prey to capture sparrows off the feeders. 

This afternoon while I was working, I heard an unusual sound outside the window. So I looked up and there all in red was a magnificent Cardinal! In fact his significant other was accompanying him too. She of course isn't as vibrant in color. Some how these cardinals must have visited us in the past because they came flying into our deck and went to our hooks where we USED to hang our bird feeders. It did not take them long to find the new feeding location!


He and I had a staring contest today. He was a real beauty and I enjoyed watching him! I remember Mattie's nurse, Tricia, telling me the significance of the cardinal. She said that the cardinal provides a symbolic type of reconnection to a meaningful loved one who died. Whenever I see a cardinal now, I can't help but think of Mattie. Of course in DC, seeing a cardinal is RARE!!! I would like to think on a day filled with snow.... a day Mattie would have loved to be outside, building and creating, that I had my own sort of visitation. 

No comments: