Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 20, 2015

Monday, April 20, 2015

Monday, April 20, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2007. We took Mattie down to the Washington National Mall to see the cherry trees in bloom. As you can see this made for a very beautiful backdrop for this photo. However, this was one of Mattie's typical looks when he complied with a photo but did not really want to be taking one. He was used to plenty of these moments with me, but thankfully despite his disinterest at times, we captured many special moments we had together.



Quote of the day: Inspiration is always a surprising visitor.John O'Donohue


Today was another full day of Walk preparation. The Walk is a full time job and then some. Planning the Walk in any given year is an enormous task, but in a year when I decide to revamp the event, that makes it three times more challenging. It is more challenging because everyone is used to the Walk being a certain way. Change is hard. Getting used to a new concept.... from the registration process to the fact that we are asking people to get involved this year and help us fundraise takes time, being on hand to answer questions from supporters, and at times walk people through the actual process to get them started. Started with creating a Walk team, building their own fundraising webpage, and also how to go about soliciting friends and family for funds. These are all new skills we are asking our supporters to use this year. However, these are vital to the health and development of the Foundation. The promotional awareness of the Foundation and fundraising can't only come from me. Ironically what I am seeing is that many of our supporters really like this challenge. They like the spirit of competition to raise money for a good cause, and to see which walk team can possibly raise the most funds for the Foundation. 

Later this afternoon, I took a break from the computer and went to Alexandria City Hall to finalize my Walk permits. This year I was able to do most of the application process through emails. Thanks to the contacts I have developed in the permit office over the past several years. Therefore when I went in today, I only had to pay the fees because the application was already completed and filed. I am very thankful to Sandra and Tara for streamlining the process for me, and I even wrote to their boss tonight to commend them for their outstanding service. It was my best experience in the permit office yet! However, the reason I am showing you this photo of our orange Mattie Miracle bags is because while driving through old town Alexandria I saw a woman in the distance carrying an orange recyclable bag. The color caught my eye, but I figured there are a ton of orange bags around, so it probably wasn't a Mattie Miracle bag. To my surprise, as I got closer to this woman and I looked at the logo, it was indeed a Mattie Miracle bag! I did not know the carrier of the bag, but as tonight's quote says... inspiration can sometimes be a surprise visitor! Seeing this bag on the streets of Alexandria perked me up today.  

No comments: