Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 25, 2015

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009. Mattie was in the HEM/ONC clinic and sitting between Brandon and Jocelyn, his two cancer buddies. Brandon and Jocelyn were really the only two people Mattie related to who were patients, which was ironic considering their age differences. But it did not matter, their friendship transcended any differences. What was going on at the art table was a whole Sponge Bob theme, as Brandon and Jocelyn knew how much Mattie loved Sponge Bob. Now I am not sure Mattie actually loved Sponge Bob, or he simply knew I disliked him and therefore enjoyed watching my reaction to hearing about the conversation!


Quote of the day: Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul? ~ John Keats


I started the day feeling good. I went to my zumba class and went about my day. But by 5pm, the bladder pain started all over again, and I am now feeling as awful as I was yesterday morning when I woke up. So fortunately I saw my doctor yesterday and have started the medication she prescribed me. While I was commuting to her office yesterday, I was listening to this horrible story on the news about a man who went for a colonoscopy procedure in Northern Virginia. While sedated, he happened to leave his cell phone on the record mode and was recording everything that was being said about him during the procedure. Unfortunately the commentary was very defamatory, in which the doctors joked that the patient could have ebola or syphilis. None of which was true, and worse because they were annoyed with the patient, they added a false diagnosis to his medical record. I included a Washington Post article about this terrible court case below, in which the jury apparently awarded the patient, $500,000.  

I am not sure what is more upsetting about this story! But I have to say the dialogue, which you can hear for yourself, that I find most upsetting is in which one doctor says..."They (patients) need to have medical problems" and the other who says, "I call it the Northern Virginia syndrome" is disturbing on many levels! What they are implying is that patients come to them looking to be ill. I am sure there is a segment of the population for whom this is true, and there is a mental health condition to identify this! But to label all of us as either hypochondriacal or a malinger is unacceptable and highly insulting. Especially when we are coming to doctors in many cases in need of answers to symptoms we are having! I will let you read it for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

Anesthesiologist trashes sedated patient — and it ends up costing her:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/anesthesiologist-trashes-sedated-patient-jury-orders-her-to-pay-500000/2015/06/23/cae05c00-18f3-11e5-ab92-c75ae6ab94b5_story.html?tid=hybrid_collaborative_2_na

No comments: