Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 9, 2015

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 -- Mattie died 300 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2003. Mattie was one year old and really beginning to toddle around. He still needed to hold a hand for support, but he was getting the hang out of that walking thing. One of the things Mattie absolutely LOVED, even at an early age was PUDDLES. He loved walking though them, which was what we were doing outside that afternoon. Walking through puddles and yet grabbing at Peter and the camera at the same time!


Quote of the day: Grief is not a disorder, a disease or a sign of weakness. It is an emotional, physical and spiritual necessity, the price you pay for love.  The only cure for grief is to grieve. ~  Earl Grollman


I began my day by opening my email and learning that Dr. Robert Arceci died in a tragic hit and run accident. Some of you reading this maybe asking yourselves..... who is Dr. Arceci? After all, I have never mentioned him on this blog, he is not associated with Mattie's care, nor my care, and he does not live or work in the DC area. Dr. Arceci was an International authority on childhood cancer and was the hematology/oncology division chief at Phoenix Children's Hospital. Again, unfortunately I must admit I too did not know him in that capacity. How I came to know of Dr. Arceci was when Mattie Miracle decided to take on the funding of a large publication with our psychosocial oncology research team this Fall through the Journal, Pediatric Blood & Cancer. For you see, Dr. Arceci was the editor-in-chief of this journal. A journal that is considered the flagship journal of the American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. Though I never met Dr. Arceci, I feel deeply grateful that he understood the importance, as a physician, for the need for psychosocial care and the relevance of publishing our standards in a journal that the medical community would access. To me the loss of Dr. Arceci is a great tragedy for his family and the entire childhood cancer community. To read more about Dr. Arceci's life and accident go to:

Phoenix Doctor Killed in Crash was Renowned Child Cancer Expert:
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2015/06/09/phoenix-physician-dies-fatal-crash-abrk/28705287/


The bright spot and highlight of my day was receiving flowers. My good friend and colleague, Denise, sent this lovely bouquet. She wanted me to know she was thinking of me in support of tomorrow, when I get my scan. Denise knows my love for sunflowers, but particularly what they mean to me. When Mattie was battling cancer, people just started to bring me sunflowers when I was home between his treatments. I have to admit I did not request sunflowers and at the time they were not my favorite flower. However, there is something very happy and strong about a sunflower. A sunflower has a face that seems to be smiling at you and its stalk has great strength. Over time, the sunflower symbolized caring, compassion, community, and unity to me. Denise told me that the florist had ONE LONE sunflower left in his store today, which naturally went to my arrangement. So that alone seems meaningful..... that one flower was meant for me. A Mattie sign, and the day before a scan, I take all the signs I can get. 


While out running chores today in Georgetown, I passed this "Tuxedo Puss." This cat came right up to me, meowed his head off and wanted attention. His fur looked in good shape and he looked well fed, but for a minute... I was ready to grab him and take him home. The only thing that stopped him was I knew someone would be very upset to be without a kitty tonight! But this cutie in my opinion should not be walking the streets of Georgetown, in and among the cars. 

No comments: