Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 5, 2015

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2009. As you can see Mattie lost his front tooth and had placed it in his tooth fairy box, which he was holding. That tooth fairy box was selected by Mattie from a gift shop we went to during a December trip to Florida. Mattie just loved the notion of a box and was particularly intrigued by the tooth fairy! Mattie would always leave a note with his tooth because he had specific requests from the tooth fairy. Mattie did not want money, but would request things like a hotwheel car and one day he even requested a necklace made out of raw pasta from the fairy! Don't ask, I have no idea where this idea came from, but Mattie was full of ideas.

Quote of the day: The deep pain that is felt at the death of every friendly soul arises from the feeling that there is in every individual something which is inexpressible, peculiar to him alone, and is, therefore, absolutely and irretrievably lost. Arthur Schopenhauer


On August 4th, we learned that our friend, Ann Glennon, and loyal Mattie Miracle supporter died from her battle with ovarian cancer. I met Ann in 2005, when Mattie entered Resurrection Children's Center. Ann was the grandmother of a classmate of Mattie's. Ann was a very vivacious, bright, and invested grandparent, who was always out there on the playground after school with her grandchildren. Because Ann was an educator and counselor by training, there was always something to talk to Ann about. 

It isn't unusual for people you meet in preschool or any school for that matter, to go their separate ways from you, once you no longer are bound by the commonality of school. However, when Mattie was diagnosed with cancer, Ann and her entire family stepped up to help in all ways. Ann's daughter in law, Ashley, is a minister and Ashley spirituality helped our care community to unite right after Mattie's diagnosis. She actually held a service and at it encouraged people to talk and share their fears and concerns. I was caring for Mattie, and didn't attend. Which was probably for the better, since Ashley was providing an outlet for our community and having me be present would have thrown the dialogue off from open conversation. 

Throughout Mattie's battle and then through our grieving process, Ann always wrote me cards and notes on holidays or special occasions, like Mattie's anniversary. She never forgot and always wanted me to know that I was loved and Mattie was remembered. So much so, that soon after Mattie died Ann commissioned a memorial brick at her church (the same church Mattie's funeral was held) in honor of Mattie to be placed in the church garden. Ann came to every one of our Foundation walks, was a strong contributor, and even while coping with cancer, Ann would write to me! I mean a real letter, not an email or text message. She was a quality person, a force and spirit, and a lady that will be deeply missed. 

Ann Glennon's Obituary:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bostonglobe/obituary.aspx?pid=175457992


In August, Ann's son wrote to me to let me know about his mom's death. He wanted me to also know the funeral arrangements that were being made for his mom. Typically I do not go to funerals. That is my overall policy since Mattie died. But if someone reaches out to me, then I will go, because funerals are NOT for the dead, but for the living. To help the living cope with the reality of the loss. 

Holy Trinity Church was founded by the Jesuit Community of Georgetown "College" in 1851. The church was restored and rededicated in 1979. It is considered the oldest standing church in Washington, DC. Holy Trinity is a beautiful church and the last time Peter and I were inside of it, was for Mattie's funeral. I have to admit I was very hesitant to even go today because I haven't set foot in that church for almost 6 years.  


One of the things I wanted to do today besides visit with Ann's family and for us to share our condolences, was to visit the Church's Garden. For it is in this garden that Mattie's memorial brick is located. Ann had told me about this brick years ago, but I never went to visit it. I just couldn't get myself back to the actual church, given the memories it held for us. 

However, Peter and I were on a mission today to find Mattie's brick. This is the approach to the brick in the garden. 







Mattie's brick is literally at the base of this statue. There is a plaque on the statue, but I honestly did not read it. I was too overwhelmed with the brick itself. I assume the statue is of Jesus, and he is holding the hand of a child. Which to me is very symbolic and meaningful, and I have no doubt that is why Ann requested that the brick be placed by the statue. 










Here is what the brick says............

In loving memory
Mattie Brown
King of the Legos
Classmate & Friend
Peace
Sam, Maddie, and Ryan GG (for Goff Glennon, their last name). 

Ann had three grandchildren, and Sam in particular was in Mattie's preschool class.







Years ago Ann sent me this miniature brick, so I would know what the Church's garden brick looked like, and that I would also have this memorial piece in Mattie's honor. This brick sits in my kitchen and has been there since Ann sent it to me. Now when I look at the brick, I will be thinking of both Mattie and Ann.  

No comments: