Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 12, 2015

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2005. Mattie absolutely loved our staircase, particularly climbing on the railings! As you can see I caught him in action!






Quote of the day: It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving. ~  Mother Teresa




Today I visited the Ronald McDonald House in Falls Church, VA and met up with Barbara Clarke, the manager of the house. Mattie Miracle donated over 300 pounds of candy to the House today. 

Let me try to put this candy in perspective. What I am reporting is just the candy that I have picked up from people around town and what has been sent to my home address. However, keep in mind that there are three other homes that are also collecting candy and sorting it for Mattie Miracle. These other homes are inundated with candy as well. 

Now with that in mind, you wouldn't believe the input of candy. I can't deliver it fast enough, because as soon as I deliver several hundred pounds, MORE candy comes into my home to be organized and sorted. Take the last two days as an example..... I delivered 300 pounds to Children's Inn at NIH yesterday and today I delivered another 300 pounds to Ronald McDonald's House. Yet at the same time, I got a 500 pound candy donation yesterday (thanks to my friend Heidi and her Beverley Hills community in Alexandria) and a 700 pound donation today (thanks to my friend Margi and her friend Erin who coordinated the candy drive in Burke, VA). Just in our home alone we have processed through 2,000 pounds of candy this week.... a true TON of candy!!!


This is what my car looked like carrying home 700 pounds of candy. But candy carrying is not a simple process for me. It involves loading the car, and candy is heavy, and then transferring it to my shopping cart to carry it upstairs from the parking garage. As you can imagine it takes MANY trips from car to home with 700 pounds of candy. 


Then the candy comes into our home and it has to be either sorted or compiled together with other like candy. I have found putting candy in Ziplocs is the best way to store and transport candy. But again this all takes time. 








We literally have candy everywhere! Though this is our fifth year doing this Drive, I never get used to the incredible amount of candy that comes our way each year. The generosity is impressive as is the number of volunteers who sort candy with us! I could never manage all this candy without our volunteers and their tireless service to the cause. 













No comments: