Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 18, 2015

Friday, December 18, 2015

Friday, December 18, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2007. It is ironic, I am the one who always insists on photographs and yet I don't have any Christmas photographs in which all three of us are in the photo together. This is the ONLY one, which maybe why it is so special to me. When taking photos it never dawned on me that we wouldn't have more Christmases together. 



Quote of the day: The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared.  Lois Lowry


The fun just never ends! Today while driving my car, I heard a sound and the car felt funny. Since I was on the highway I assumed something was wrong with my tire. I was able to get out of the car and check all the tires and they seemed fine. So I got back into the car, and since I wasn't far from home, I was able to limp along and bring the car home. When I parked the car, a man came over to me and said.... you are aware that something is wrong with your car, right? I did but I did not know what. So I got out of the car and he showed me the problem, the plastic plate, called the skid plate, literally dropped down from the car and was dragging on the road (I downloaded a photo of a car from the internet to illustrate what I am talking about). 

By this point, I had already called Peter who met me to assess the situation. Meanwhile I also called my car dealership because in my opinion I feel like they did not put this part back correctly after giving my car an overhaul last week! This is truly not what I needed today, as I am dealing with trying to feel better. I am not sure what is worse, dealing with pain or dealing with the medication to conquer the pain.  




















In my email today I received this photo! It is from another childhood cancer organization called Just TRYAN It. This Foundation is named after Ryan, a childhood leukemia cancer survivor. Carrie, the previous executive director of Just TRYAN It, sent me this photo and the boy in the center of the photo is her son Will. Every Just TRYAN It race that the organization sponsors, Will participates and dedicates his race to Mattie. If you look closely, the racing bib Will is wearing has Mattie's name on it. The photo is priceless because of the fact that Will (who is Mattie's age) never met Mattie, yet his life story intrigues him and he wants to remember him. Carrie not only shared the photo with me, but she wanted me to know that this photo is going on the Just TRYAN It website! It is lovely that Mattie is memorialized in this way and that his story touched the life of a child who did not even know him. 

No comments: