Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 9, 2015

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2007. We took Mattie to the US Botanical Gardens, which was one of our favorite places to go in the winter time. Besides its green beauty, it was like walking into a gloriously hot and humid environment. An environment which was needed for many of the plants in the atrium to grow and thrive. But hitting that heat and humidity when it was freezing outside was like stepping off a plane and visiting Florida. Except in this case, no traveling was necessary. During Christmas time, the Garden decorates beautifully and brings out these wonder models of famous Washington, DC buildings comprised of plant material. As you can see Mattie posed in front of the US Capitol model. 



Quote of the day: Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved. ~ Helen Keller


This morning I headed back to the post office where our Foundation PO Box is located to mail all of our holiday envelopes to our supporters. Carrying 500 envelopes in large US Post Office plastic trays is no easy feat. So instead of parking a block away from the post office and walking, I decided to pull over right in front of the post office, with the thinking that I would quickly jump out of the car and leave the trays on the counter for Darryl. Darryl is our amazing Post Office employee who I want to adopt. He looks out for Mattie Miracle, our post office box, and even encourages people in the spring to attend our Walk. Darryl knew I was coming in to drop off the trays, so I did not even have to explain to him what I was doing.

However, parking by the post office is challenging. Right in front of the post office there is metered parking as well as parking for people with disabilities. So this morning because I was desperate and knew I was going to be QUICK, I pulled into a parking spot designated for people with disabilities. Mind you I had my hazard lights on and my intention was to take the large trays with the letters inside the post office and come out within seconds. Things were going smoothly, I had my hazard lights on and just took out all of the trays from the car and had them in my arms. I was literally seconds from walking into the post office, when a women in a SUV pulled up to me and started screaming at me. She could see I did not have a disabled parking permit and wanted this spot. I told her that I understood and that I had no intention of parking there, I just needed to drop the trays on the counter, which would take two seconds and then she could have the space. To me it was a reasonable request. I certainly know the value of such a parking spot when disabled, as I used them for over a year with Mattie. 

Nonetheless, despite explaining my situation to her and literally holding the heavy trays pictured here in my arms, she insisted I move my car IMMEDIATELY. So I had to put all four trays back in the car and move. I am sure at some point I will understand her perspective, but today isn't one of those days. In the time she spent yelling at me, I could have gone into the post office (I don't have to stand in line or do anything! Literally I just walk in, dump the trays on the counter, and leave) and jumped back in my car and been gone. Needless to say, I am still reeling from this encounter today. Maybe because I really try to think about others and their needs all the time, and when someone is accusing me of being the exact opposite of what I am, it bothers me. 


Peter is in New Jersey today on business. As he took the train from DC to NJ at 7:30am, he sent me some sunrise photos over the Chesapeake Bay. 










To us, the sun is a glorious sight, since one of the last creations Mattie painted was his large painting of "Mr. Sun," a symbol we incorporated into the Mattie Miracle logo.

No comments: