Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 28, 2016

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2004. Mattie was almost two years old and out for a weekend adventure with us. Mattie preferred being outdoors, and it did not matter the temperature or time of year. He never articulated with me while he liked being with nature, but he seemed happier and more at peace there. Early on in Mattie's life he contended with sensory issues, specifically focused on sound, smells, textures, and most definitely people coming into his personal space. Being outside, many of these sensory issues weren't an issue. So despite the fact that I am always cold, I learned to adapt in order to give Mattie the things he needed to develop. 



Quote of the day: Here is one of the worst things about having someone you love die: It happens again every single morning. ~ Anna Quindlen



Yesterday my friend Christine sent me several photos by email. She has been organizing her photos and placing them into albums and she wanted me to know that Mattie was remembered in these albums. 

Mattie and Christine's son, Campbell, were the closest of friends in kindergarten. The wonderful part about all of this is Christine and I also liked each other and became friends. So it was wonderful that the boys just gravitated to one another. 

I thought I saw every possible photo of Mattie, but I have NEVER seen these two. They are total surprises to me and I can't even figure out where Mattie was and what he was doing. I know he was on a playdate with Campbell and I assume it was at Campbell's home. But I love the karate like chop that Christine caught on camera!

It is a wonderful gift when someone out of the blue shares memories like this me. It helps me see that perhaps Mattie has touched more people than just Peter and I, and someone else is helping me actively keep his memory alive. 

This photo was taken at the Accotink Cardboard Boat Regatta in Springfield, VA. This event happens every June. Mattie went with us, and his friend Campbell and his sister. We all had a great time and our thinking was one day Mattie and Peter would build a cardboard boat together. 

This photo was taken in the child life playroom at the hospital. We were celebrating Mattie's 7th birthday. His last birthday with us. He was surrounded by his closest friends: Campbell, Livi (Campbell's sister), Charlotte (who Mattie called his girlfriend), Brandon (Mattie's best buddy at Georgetown, as they battled cancer together), Zachary and Abbie (both of whom Mattie met in preschool).

A close up of Mattie and Campbell. Campbell is the fellow with his head down, covered in silly string.












This photo was taken at Campbell's sixth birthday party! Mattie was having a great time that day with sprinklers, a moon bounce, and time with his friends.

No comments: