Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 22, 2016

Friday, April 22, 2016

Friday, April 22, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2006. Mattie was four years old and was outside with me on our deck. I was out there watering our plants. But if you look closely, look who was also soaked! Mattie loved going outside and always requested to be sprayed with the hose. So I literally as watering the plants and Mattie! 


Quote of the day: Spring drew on...and a greenness grew over those brown beds, which, freshening daily, suggested the thought that Hope traversed them at night, and left each morning brighter traces of her steps. ~ Charlotte Brontë


I went to Mattie's school today to bring supplies for my art lecture series starting next week. While there I of course went to visit and clean up Mattie's Memorial Yellow Wood tree. For his birthday, I wrapped a beautiful yellow butterfly around Mattie's tree. But with all the intense winds we had, the butterfly was torn to shreds. So I removed it from the tree and just left the pretty yellow bow. But what immediately caught my attention were the tulips around the tree.

Every Fall we plant bulbs around the tree. We plant crocus, daffodil, and tulip bulbs. The beauty of this is all three flowers bloom at different times. So literally the tree has flowers around it for a good part of the Spring. There are many wonderful trees on the campus, but Mattie's tree is the only one decorated and with flowers around its base. 

A close up of the tulips! Somehow the photo doesn't do these flowers justice. They are a vibrant red and purple! It caught my attention from over 100 feet away, as I was walking toward the tree from the parking lot. 

It is a very surreal feeling to be visiting the tree and to be surrounded by kindergarten students playing on the playground. In my mind, Mattie will always be a kindergarten student. Despite the fact that he would be in 8th grade now if he were alive. In some ways, I am caught in time, and in my time zone Mattie is forever 7. As the children were running and playing all around me today, it left me wondering of course why did Mattie get cancer and die? The profound feelings Peter and I live with, parents of healthy children can't possible grasp. Which is a good thing, but none the less, it does add to the isolation. For the children running passed me, this tree is just a pretty tree, whereas to me, it is much more. Yet we both co-exist and experience the same tree, but maybe in different ways. 

No comments: