Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 21, 2016

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009. We were given tickets to see a Nats baseball game. So we took Mattie to the stadium and I will never forget that day. For two reasons. The first was that there were several army representatives at the game handing out t-shirts to the public. One fellow took one look at Mattie and walked over and gave him an "Army Strong" shirt. He felt that Mattie deserved it. The other reason that I remember so vividly was how people were staring at Mattie. You would have thought we did something grossly wrong with the stares and whispers we were receiving. Peter and I weren't the only ones to notice, Mattie did as well and it left me feeling like I wanted to give everyone around me a talking to. 


Quote of the day: Do not be angry with the rain; it simply does not know how to fall upwards.  Vladimir Nabokov

This quote truly makes me laugh because I think we have all had quite enough of rain in the DC area. We are going on three weeks of rain so far and it isn't only tiring, it is depressing. 


The three photos highlighted on tonight's blog posting feature walkers passing our Faces of Hope posters on the track. 

A few years ago I created this Faces of Hope project, in which I contacted families who have a child either in treatment or in the survivorship stage of the journey. We received the consent from 26 parents and we proudly display these photos each year. I feel it is important to remind people why they are walking. Because REAL children (not just in theory) get cancer and the psychosocial impacts of treatment affect both the child and the entire family. 

In fact, there were several childhood cancer survivors depicted on these posters who attended the walk. As I told them, it means a great deal to me that they came to the walk because they a big part of the reason we raise money for psychosocial care. 















Meenu works with Peter and she and her husband took a photo with Kara, a childhood cancer survivor. There were several participants who posed with the posters and many of them did not know the child on display. I have to imagine that the poster resonated with them, and the subject matter caught their attention.  

No comments: