Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 20, 2016

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2008 in Los Angeles. That day we took Mattie for a boat ride in Long Beach. You can see the Queen Mary, which is now a museum, was in the background of our voyage. Mattie was into boats big time and always loved a boat adventure. One of the things Mattie wanted to do when he grew up was to captain a boat.


Quote of the day: To know what people really think, pay regard to what they do, rather than what they say. ~ Rene Descartes


Things have been looking very brown in Los Angeles for quite a long period of time. It isn't what you expect to see when you come to California. You expect greenery. But Southern California is very concerned about conserving water and if you see green, you know people are actively trying to water. What I have been noticing more and more with each visit is that people are migrating to drought-prone garden areas.... which means they are planting flowers that don't require a lot of water to thrive. The Waterworks Districts of Los Angeles even offer their customers a rebate for removing water-inefficient grass with drought-tolerant landscaping.

In the city of Burbank, where my parents live, failure to comply with the City's water wasting rules may result in a fine. Fines are $100 for the first violation, $200 for the second violation, and $500 for every violation thereafter. Burbank City Council has moved irrigation (watering grass and plants) restrictions from 2 days per week to 3 days per week now (on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays - before 9am or after 6pm).


My mom and I took a walk today and here are some of the sights we saw.
Check out this vegetation wall! It may look like a cactus, but upon touch, these green structures were very smooth.
 What do you think of this?!
This reminded me of the top of a pineapple!
A walkway to someone's home!
A front yard with metal sculpture!





















The next series of photographs truly captures how beautiful a drought resistant garden can be. Typically I am into flowers and grass, but this does make you reimagine gardening!









1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki,

I love the picture of Mattie with your parents. I am sure it is a well loved, treasured picture!

I have long believed ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS!!! Your quote for today fits this feeling well.

You create a great travel log which allows, the reader to see the area, you visit, almost like they are there too. I told Ken yesterday, that we would love your travel itinerary. I am happy, you are getting some long walks with your Mom. I know how you love to walk. I too, love a nice long walk although I admit, you walk way better in the heat than I do. I have seen different parts of DC through your lens. Remarkable, how some of those areas look completely different from your descriptions. Thanks, I so enjoyed this post and beautiful pictures, especially the one of Mattie.
Margy