Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 28, 2016

Monday, November 28, 2016

Monday, November 28, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2008. Mattie was home and recovering from his limb salvaging surgeries. Our whole living room looked like a hospital room. Our couch was moved in front of our windows, so we could place a hospital bed where the couch used to be. In addition, we had IVs, a commode and the list went on! 

Yet in the midst of all of this, we were desperate to try to get Mattie to eat something. That day what Mattie requested was chinese food. So rest assured whatever he felt like eating, we found it!




Quote of the day: We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures. ~ Thornton Wilder



When I tell you Los Angeles has a traffic problem I am NOT kidding! It took us 2.5 hours to drive to the airport today from my parent's house. Which is ridiculous since the distance between these two points is about 40 miles!!! 

Despite leaving the house at 9:20am, I did not get to the airport until 11:45am. Mind you the plane boarded at 12:10! I literally flew out of the car and ran from the arrival terminal to the departure terminal. It was impossible to drive the car into the departure part of the airport, that is how bad it was, so my parents dropped me off at arrivals. 

When I checked my luggage the American Airlines person told me that I just made it because a minute later, they wouldn't have been able to guarentee my luggage getting onto the plane! 

Needless to say, I was totally frazzled by the time I walked onto the plane. I never stopped moving and fortunately I can move quickly. This was my sight at take off!

Meanwhile about four hours later, I flew into DC. This is my view of Rosslyn, VA! I am now home and Sunny and Indie are getting used to my presence again!

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, Tonight's quote holds so much meaning for me for the total truth it conveys. It is beautiful and might be one of those quotes, I write in my book of quotes.

Even looking somber and starring straight at the camera, Mattie is a beautiful child. I looked at his eyes and wondered as I have done through the years, just what children so young really think about all the suffering they are experiencing. To go from a period of time in their life that is free of pain, filled with fun activities, friends, to one where life is limiting, pain is frequent and not much if anything is like it was.

I am glad you snapped all photos of Mattie. They are all part of Mattie's life story. I am hoping more people take a good look att this photo because many people have a totally different picture in their heads of how a child in treatment for Cancer looks. The truth is important

I will always think each & every picture of Mattie is beautiful!