Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 8, 2016

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 --- Mattie died 373 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2005. Mattie was three years old. That weekend we took him to the National Geographic museum. Ironically that was our first and last visit to that museum. But we had a good time. Outside the museum entrance is this bronze ape. We thought this photo was priceless, so naturally I snapped it! So glad I did, because it is precious to me!


Quote of the day: All I really need is love, but a little candy now and then doesn't hurt! ~ Charles Schulz



It has been a non-stop day for me and it is still going on! Candy is coming from just about everywhere..... through the mail, drop offs, and pick ups. This is the candy left for me at our complex's front desk!
Meanwhile, I went to the Lab School today in Washington, DC and they made a 500 pound candy donation. YES 500 pounds and I assure you it weighs a lot and is a pip to transport. It took up my entire trunk and half of my back seat. 

But literally I drove ALL over town today. My day first started in Northeast DC, where I dropped Sunny off for his third and final treatment. THANKFULLY! I am not sure who it is harder on.... Sunny or me. Mainly because each way is about two hours of commuting time. 

After dropping off Sunny, I went to Georgetown to the Lab School. The Lab School has been a big candy supporter of ours for years and we are happy they select Mattie Miracle each year. 

After the Lab School, I then drove to Bethesda, MD. After that second pick up, my entire back seat was full of bags and candy. I literally had no choice at this point, but to drive to my friend's house, and drop off all this candy. Otherwise, I had NO room in the car to pick up Sunny from his heart worm procedure. In the past I stored the candy in our home. But the logistics are just too difficult for me, and I am not supposed to lift too many heavy things. Therefore, I am grateful that Ann allows us to transform her home into a candy factory. Literally half of Ann's gargage has stacks of bins full of candy. It is rather overwhelming and don't get me started on the smell. 

Literally I have been all over DC, Maryland and Virginia today. At 4pm (rush hour), I had to head back to Northeast DC to pick up Sunny at the vet. It was a nightmare commute, in which I was in the car for two hours ONE way, and then another hour coming home. This is what I saw for hours. On one street alone, it took me 40 minutes to move three blocks. I saw road rage all around me, in which people behind me were so frustrated they started driving on the other side of the road.... almost causing a head on collision right in front of me. 

I am thrilled Sunny's procedures are done because if I never go back to this vet, that would be fine with me!

Here is another candy donation we received today thanks to Fairlington Dental. Like most dentist offices, they have a candy buy back program after Halloween. Patients get paid a $1 for every pound of candy brought in, up to 30 pounds. We are honored that Fairlington Dental chooses to donate their candy to Mattie Miracle! 

Fairlington Dental is also a very loyal corporate sponsor of ours and we truly appreciate the support in all ways. 
My friend, Jane, goes to pick up Fairlington Dental's candy and then organizes candy sorting parties to sort all of this! This is deeply appreciated because it takes HOURS upon HOURS to sort through candy. Sorting is crucial to the process because it removes half eaten and inappropriate candies, and sorting candy preserves it longer in ziploc bags for hospital storage. Otherwise things start tasting like one another, and given this candy is a year's supply for each hospital, the importance of preservation is vital. 

No comments: