Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 10, 2017

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 -- Mattie died 382 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken on Christmas in 2007. That year Mattie celebrated the holiday in Deerfield Beach, FL. We even bought a little Christmas tree at Target made out of green feathers! Mattie thought it was priceless and we brought it home and it sat on Mattie's shelves for years! Mattie got presents from Santa both in Florida and at home when he returned. But Mattie loved the idea that Santa would come to two places since he knew Mattie wasn't celebrating in DC that year. 


Quote of the day: Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.Anatole France


Despite working all day on various Foundation items, I had non-stop entertainment at home. Indie and Sunny keep me on my toes all day long. Sunny with his need to attention and walk (regardless of the weather), and Indie who I learned today LOVES water! 

This morning Indie jumped in my sink. I literally posted this photo on Facebook and to my amazement cat lovers where sharing stories with me about how their cats do the same thing and that I should try turning on the water slightly to see her reaction. 
Well the reaction was priceless! Miss Indie LOVES water. She was batting at it and even drinking it. I have had many cats growing up and NOT a one would go near water. So it never dawned on me to turn on the water. I thought she would flip out. On the contrary!
Get the picture?!
Then this evening, I did lots of laundry. I even washed our couch cover. Well don't you know it..... as soon as that cover was back on the couch, look who jumped up! Sunny loved the freshness and warmth of it as it came out of the dryer. It isn't boring in our home to say the least, and they are a marvelous distraction from always working. 

While walking Sunny today, I ran into two college students who stopped to talk with me about Sunny. They said he was beautiful and then proceeded to ask if he was a service dog. I told them that this was very observant of them and then asked why they thought this? The young man said because his big eyes read bright, sensitive, calm, and he studies his environment. I would say this is a very accurate description of Sunny. That is how I read him. In fact I fell in love with Sunny's eyes through the rescue's Facebook page. I adopted Sunny sight unseen, which can be risky. But the eyes were very telling to me. I am so happy that others can see this as well. 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Hi Vicki, I enjoyed your pictures of a Indie on Facebook too! I think Indie is going to be the cat of many surprises! Mattie with his little feather tree is a sweet picture as is knowing he got presents both in Daytona & DC. Looking at the picture of Matiie, knowing his age then, and his excitement at two visits from Santa, I wonder did he ever realize you & Peter were the magic of Santa for him. Childhood. Cancer robs everything from children. The magic of Christmas is giving!! I imagine Mattie growing up to being a very giving person because it seems even at his age, his eyes say that. I too, am an eye person. I can tell from just watching a person's eyes, how they are. I might not know what is wrong but I can see through their eyes if the smile is truly joyful or one that stands in front of a heavy heart. I had years of watching this with Pediatric Oncoligy parents. Sunny will make a perfect therapy dog because his eyes & nature are tender.